Reservoir dogs

Does anyone know the location of the power steering fluid reservoir for a 1986 Chrysler Le Baron

Have you looked in your owner’s manual? Is there a drawing of where it should be or what it should look like?

Some of those had a dipstick tube poking up near the firewall. It looks like the transmission dipstick tube, about 3/4 inch in diameter. It can be tricky to find and even trickier to fill properly. You have to look for it to find it since it is not in an obvious location. You could also take it to a shop and they can point it out to you. Hope this helps.

The car was a gift… and the gift did not unfortunatly include an owners manual… I guess I should get me one of those things… thanks for your response anyway.

Baroness, It Would Be Helpful To Know Which Engine Is In That Baron. However, Let Me Take A Shot At It.

At least on the four cylinder (and probably on the six) the cap (with a little plastic dipstick built-in) should be right on top of power steering pump’s metal tank. Since the pump is powered by an accessory belt (v-belt or serpentine) then the pump/reservoir tank, cap/dipstick will be in line with the belts, probably back toward the passenger compartment on the “belts end” of the engine (passenger side).

The cap may be dirty, but should have an icon (steering wheel) or should mention “power steering”. Put only specified power steering fluid in it.

CSA

Found it! Thanks a million… you are going to ne my “go to” guy for my Le Baron! Everyone else told me it was on the drivers side… and yes it was very very dirty… obsured by 24 years of grease and grime. but the fluid in it looked pretty clean.just a little low…My steering is getting a bit stiff and noisy… could be a bigger problem… but I always like to start with the simpler solutions and work my way up to the big ones. By the way…its 4 cylinders. My next big challenge is installing a new convertible top…motor works fine… frame is in great shape.but… vinyl is deteriorating to the point of needing an umbrella if it looks like rain!

Le Baroness, You’re Welcome ! I’m Familiar With The Chrysler Le Baron And Its Siblings The Plymouth Reliant And Dodge Aries K-Cars From That Era (1986). I’d Be Happy To Help When I Can.

CSA