Replacing the starter

…on a 1990 GMC S15, V6.

When I look underneath at the starter, I see a couple of bolts easy to get at.

My question is:

Is it just pretty much a matter of removing these two bolts and putting in the new starter, or is it really complicated like having to yank out the engine, etc… ?

What does your repair manual say?
Here are the instructions from Auto Zone site: http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiBroker?ForwardPage=az/cds/en_us/0900823d/80/12/a5/e6/0900823d8012a5e6.jsp . If you don’t read these instructions, be sure to disconnect the battery, first. There are two bolts, the instructions say.

I don’t know this vehicle’s set up, but often it is just as simple as a few bolts - out w/ the old & in w/ the new. Two bolts sounds low though - I would look for at least one more.

Someone who knows this vehicle will likely answer, but I often check out the repair guides on the Autozone site when I want to know how complicated something will be:

http://www.autozone.com/shopping/repairLanding.htm;jsessionid=27015861869D4D20E6E199978C650568

Yes it is fairly simple. The two bolts hold the starter to the engine block. Be sure to disconnect the battery positive cable from the battery before starting. You will have to disconnect the positive cable and signel wires from the solenoid. Take note of the presence and number of shims that are between the starter mount and the block i.e. where the heavy bolts go through. Sometimes replacement starters have to have more or less shims to get quiet starting.

If you have other questions, feel free to ask.

You should be aware of any potential starter noises after installation of a new starter (grinding, howling, etc.).
Many GM starters may require a shim between the starter and engine block. These are sold in packs with shims of varying thicknesses.
Use the thinnest shim at first. If there is any noise then remove that shim and try a thicker shim.

If you have noise and ignore the shims then the starter may fail prematurely or some teeth may get knocked off of the flexplate or flywheel (whichever you have depending on transmission type).
The shim packs are cheap and the parts house should be able to provide you with the correct shim type since there are several different versions.

After disconnecting the battery, make sure to either remember or label the small wires on the starter solenoid. Most GM wires have different-sized connectors on the ends that go onto the solenoid terminals. If this is the case with yours, piece of cake. If not, then remember or label.