Replace cracked rear mirror housing on 2000 Toyota Camry

I damaged the driver side rear mirror plastic housing on my 2000 Toyota Camry-4 cyclinders and would like to replace it with a new one. The mirror is in good working condition but I could not find any information on how to remove it. Please give me some information on its removal.

Thanks to all the people who answered my last question on changing spark plugs. You guys are wonderful. Thanks again.

I Think It’s Great Than You Are Performing Your Own Maintenance And Repairs. Let Me Say That It Would Behoove You To Purchase A Camry Service Manual That Would Cover Things Like Mirror R & R.

Helm Inc. sells official Toyota Service Manuals. They are quite expensive, but a good investment if you are planning on keeping the car and planning on doing your own work. Otherwise a less expensive Chilton or Clymer Service Manual might be helpful.

Is this a manually operated mirror or an electrically operated mirror ? These cars came with both varieties. I think this is how it’s done:

The manual mirror has a set-screw that retains the adjustment knob and then the triangular trim piece inside the car is gently pried off using a wood or plastic prying device so as not to mar the plastic. The mirror screws are then exposed.

I believe the procedure is similar for the power mirror, except no knob at the mirror. Toyota says to disconnect the negative battery cable before proceeding. The power mirror will of course have to be pulled away and unplugged after the attaching screws are removed. Sometimes the door’s interion trim panel has to be removed if you can’t access the mirror wiring harness connector.

Are these mirrors painted to match or are they black ? A take-it-off-yourself auto
salvage yard is good place for a replacement mirror. They’re relatively inexpensive and you can “practice” removing the mirror on a junker, first. Sometimes with painted mirrors one can luck out and find one the right color.
CSA

Additional: Helm’s got the 2000 Camry Repair Manual (2 Volume Set) in stock for $140 + S&H.