Remote start control

I dropped steering column to change elec steering motor and found this in the way. Sis had car for 10 years and did not know. She has no remote for it. Can you get replacement remotes? Not now of course.

1 Like

You would just have to check the model number and let Google do it’s thing…

1 Like

If she has not used the Remote start for 10 years why even put it back ? You should know that this site gets a lot of posts about after market remote start causing problems . Besides how much longer is she going to keep this vehicle .

2 Likes

As a Registered tree-hugger and Greenie, I promote just getting in the cold car, starting thengine and let idle move the car until thengine getsome warmth. Then gently accelerate.

If hot, just get in and roll all windows down and drive. Driving will flush hot air out. Presumably air conditioner will cool faster when driving instead of when thengine is at idle RPM.

I got a car cheap last year because it wouldn’t start. Turns out it had a “bad” remote starter. I took it out and it started. Gone now. I am not putting this system back in. Trash next. Or give it away.

You need to add neurotic, narcissistic, egotistic, self indulgent manic to that worn out tag line.

3 Likes

Toyota charged me $492 dollars for a remote starter, which is sold at Walmart for a little below $100. I had Toyota installed them for both of my vehicles. Same brand.

Despite the remote starters are the same brand and model, the remote for the Lexus cannot operate the starter for the rav4.

So I think if you get a new remote, you’ll need to program the remote.

I’ve had remote starters on all my vehicles and never had a problem, but I always chose the higher price for installation through a dealer rather than via an independent shop.

I’m thinking of starting every post with As a registered gasoline loving, gas guzzling, speed demon forever…

Andthenanoyeveyonewithmychildishonewording whateverthey arecalled…

Just image how much energy we will save if we all stopped using the space bar…

1 Like

Did you not read the post where he says he is not putting the remote start system back in .

Don’t assume that this approach is problem-free. When my friend bought his Rav4, in 2008, he decided to have the dealer install a remote-start system–even though I advised against it. Fortunately, he did listen to me when I recommended the genuine Toyota remote start system, instead of the aftermarket system that the dealership was pushing.

Within a few days after taking delivery, he began to encounter all sorts of weird and varying electrical/electronic problems. I can’t recall all of the problems at this point, but the ones that I recall include random re-setting of the car’s clock, and one instance of the engine stalling.

So, we took his 2 week old Rav back to the dealership, and–of course–they claimed that there was nothing wrong with it. Fast forward a few weeks, and after 3 unsuccessful repair attempts at the dealership, I prepared a Demand Letter, referencing NJ’s Lemon Law (which allows for a full refund–including registration fees and taxes), and mailed it–via Certified Mail–to Toyota of America.

Toyota begged for one more chance to repair it, and because my friend liked the Rav and didn’t want to have to start from scratch with buying another new car, he agreed. On the appointed repair day, we rendezvoused with the Regional Service Manager and a Japanese engineer (who appeared to speak little or no English).

About 3 hours later, we got a call from the Regional Service Manager stating that the problem had been found–and rectified. It turned-out that the installation of the remote start system had been faulty, and the system was left in some sort of diagnostic mode, which periodically shut down everything electrical on the car. The Regional Service manager had some “choice” words regarding the skills of the mechanic who had done the installation.

So, a bit of reprogramming fixed the problem, but if the remote start system had not been a genuine Toyota system, and if it hadn’t been installed at the dealership prior to delivery, the Lemon Law would not have applied.

In any event, your assumption that the dealership will do a better job with installation is not necessarily correct.

1 Like

My work sometimes gets me in contact with engineers who also speak poor or little English, though they try very hard and are doing their best to serve the customer well. Perhaps we should learn a little Japanese to help close the gap.

Anyway, I was on a conference call with an engineer discussing a car that had an intermittent lack of power, and the engineer kept referring to an “axle rater”. What’s an axle rater? Something that evaluates axle shafts for rotational speed?

It took a few times and the context of the statement to realize that when he was saying “axle rater” he was referring to the “accelerator”.

I hope you don’t think that my comment was intended as a pejorative one. I didn’t intend to imply that his limited English was a problem for me. At the time, I thought that he might have recently arrived from the parent company in Japan, and that would be a good thing.

As to us learning the Japanese language, I am too old to take on that challenge, but I urge the younger forum members to begin their Japanese language study if they desire.

I would have fell over laughing… I worked with a great mechanic that was from Vietnam and spoke pretty well, but still with some broken English, well he turned in a diag for repairs and wrote something that I had to ask him what he meant, he said the wires were pongee, I said what?, he said pongee it needed wira… I said show me, he pointed at the ignition wires and was trying to say they were spongy (oil soaked)… After I stopped laughing I sold his ticket… We had a lot of fun picking at each other, I miss working with him, great guy and great mechanic… BTW, I was one of few non Vietnamese couples invited to his very large Wedding, so we were pretty tight back in the day, so never any disrespect there… And his mommas eggrolls were to die for…

1 Like

I have said a few times before, a shop/dealer is only as good as it’s mechanics…

2 Likes

I did headgaskets 2 yrs ago and found a new wire spliced into fuel injector harness. Hmm, that looks odd. Turns out it was part of alarm system. I removed system 1 wire at a time and kept checking to see if car started. Been working ok for last 2-3 weeks.

Oh no, not at all. I think both examples just show the difficulty involved in trying to explain a technical issue when language provides an additional barrier. And it’s not lost on me that these fine people have to develop and build a car and then explain themselves in a foreign language. Most of us wouldn’t be up to that task.

I had downloaded a language transliterator app that worked pretty good (mainly for south of the boarder buyers), but with the Bridgestone headquarters being right down the road when I was working downtown Nashville, Bridgestone had interns that only stayed in the US two years, but had to have Bridgestone’s on their vehicles, easy sales, once you got past the whole language thingy… lol

After the kids car was stolen we put a security system on it from Best Buy. Seems to me it had remote start as one of the features. I think I paid about $500 for it with install but never had any problem with it.

Add-on remote start systems rely on a rpm signal to start/end starter motor operation, usually from a primary ignition coil wire but a fuel injector wire could work. When the engine reaches a given rpm, the control module disengages the starter motor.

Too long. But new readers wilknow tree-huggers and Greeniestill exist who consideremote start a gimmick for wimps afraid of a little cold or heat.

The only reason I use one iso themergencyehiclengine can warm a little at 0300 while I am getting dressed to rush blood to a hospital. Hate to stress a cold engine.