Can I remotely start Expedition using a cable run from our bedroom?

More emergency calls are coming in in the middle of the night. (04:49 this morning.)
Remote starters are $200 to $300.
From the nightstand, can a wire be run to the vehicle and start it before using the bathroom and getting dressed?
(A hose slipped over the exhaust pipe would conduct fumes outside the garage.)
I can design and construct various devices and timers. But I have no idea how real remote starterstarthengine.
I have run telephone, data and 120 and 240-Volt circuits in this house. Running a wire from the bedroom would not be a problem.
Thank you.

You can do anything you want, the hard way if you really think $200 is a lot of money. But, don’t try to do what you want for less and just don’t run it under your water bed. More importantly, don’t run this idea by the Mrs. She may want to start divorce proceedings.

You could make the starter work easily. Wiring it up to the computer to open the throttle enough to start the engine would probably cost as much as the remote starter that somebody else installs.

There’s always the trunk monkey from DNK Auto.

Thank you.
How does such a device work?
Dag, I run all lines neatly and cleanly according to building code.
But connecting to the vehicle computer causes concern. What if the long wires induce slight currents into the computer?
I may have to abandon this idea.

You will have to leave a key in the ignition for the imobilizer system to allow the engine to start.
Buy the factory remote start kit.

Remote start allows all of the security systems to still function. Doors are locked, no key in ignition, and car cannot be moved out of park without the key. Plus lights are on signaling that the car is running and any attempt to steel it would shut the car off. After market kits can be a nightmare if it causes problems.

Now running a pipe out the garage door is not something I would do because of letting pests inside the garage and not have a make up air system. If you put the hose under the door, it won’t seal down. If you put the hose through the door like the shops, maybe.

Rather why don’t you just heat the garage instead? It only has to be 40 or 50 degrees.

There is a thing on the market, It is called a remote start, $59 too much?

Thank you, all.
The ignition key is in the door pocket where it still allows the doors to be locked.
Garage doors open electrically .
The garage doors are in good condition but leak ample make-up air.
The exhaust hose outlet can be sealed with 1/2-inch metal mesh to keep mice out without creating much backpressure.

Thank you, Bark.
Yes, there are much cheaper systems than my friends mentioned!
Even during daytime a remote starter would be good when I must still use the bathroom and change to EMS uniform before departing. (Very painful lesson - always use the bathroom before departing.)

I’d say no. If you look over a remote starter that is correct for your model car you will notice a whole bunch of wires coming out of it. There are just too many circuits involved to wire up a simple wire from the house. Splicing into wires when you aren’t sure what circuit(s) that wire is hooked into is very risky. This is not a DIY job by any stretch.

If remote start is important buy the proper unit for your car and have it installed by a pro.

Get a real kit.
I can’t see screwing aroud with that wire idea at all.
To have it ready to run you’d have to leave the key in the run position and risk running down the battery.

I have a Ford kit in mine and it woks effortlessly.

^ Thank you, both.
Amazon, I now see, has remote starters for much less than $200 to $300.

(Just had another emergentransport to a different hospital at 04:45.
Went to the garage in my underwear, started the engine and moved the SUV forward to the curb.
Ran back into the house, used the bathrrom and got dressed.)

A remote starter would be less than being arrested for indecent exposure!

BATH ROBE ?

“BATH ROBE ? We don’ got no stinkin bathrobe”.
But I do have a plethor.a floodlight bulbs!

Mr. Gift, do they pay you to do this or is this volunteer work??

FORGET the homespun or aftermarket remote starter…

"Mr. Gift, do they pay you to do this or is this volunteer work?? FORGET the homespun or aftermarket remote starter..."
Formerly in Fire/EMS, I am a voldumbteer. An accountant made me a little sick telling me how much money I have donated doing this since 1989. So I am trying to save as much money as possible.

What is wrong with a Ford-compatible remote starter from Wal-Mart?

I think in Colorado a bathrobe outside would be indecent exposure and of course would need to register as a sex offender for that. A lot of people have been moving to Colorado from California. I’m not sure they would allow an offender to haul blood anymore so that might solve the whole issue.

Back when cars were simplier, I wired up my car for remote start. In 1963 I ran wires from the ignition switch to a to a plugin in the grill. From the plugin to a switch in a panal inside. I installed a 12volt GM starter solenoid to the throttle. Then I put a washing machine timer in the ignition cercuit. I could turn the timer on, press the throttle button to set the choke and start the car as if I were in it. Of course I would leave the heater on when parked. It worked fine. When I left, I put the key in and turned it on, unpluged the unit and left. However, things are different now.

Good Luck with the Wally-World remote…One wrong connection and your Expedition will never start and run properly again…Why does a garage-kept car have to be warmed up?? If you INSIST, at least use a FoMoCo kit purchased at a dealers parts counter…Ask about the heated leather seats while you are there…

"I think in Colorado a bathrobe outside would be indecent exposure and of course would need to register as a sex offender for that."
Correct! Remaining off the sex offender register is worth almost $60 to me.
"I'm not sure they would allow an offender to haul blood anymore so that might solve the whole issue."
If they allow me, why not anyone? (Was my previous comment censored?)

Clever, EllyEllis!

"Good Luck with the Wally-World remote...One wrong connection and your Expedition will never start and run properly again...Why does a garage-kept car have to be warmed up?? If you INSIST, at least use a FoMoCo kit purchased at a dealers parts counter...Ask about the heated leather seats while you are there... "
I would not connect anything incorrectly - unless the product directions were incorrect.

Warmed a little and oil and transmission fluids flowed because it will soon be pushed while still cold.

Hmm. I do have an extra heating pad! No. I’m accustomed to being chilled.