Recalls are dealers supposed to tell you when you have work done?

The dealer never told me about the recall. should ford be responsible after the expiration?

They are supposed to tell you, but it can be hard to track people down if they have moved, sold the car, etc.

As for the expiration: I’m pretty sure this depends on the recall. Some never expire (safety related,) but with others, you have a certain amount of time to get the situation dealt with before they expire.

What recall are you referring too?

If the dealer won’t fix it, go above the dealer and find a regional/ area representative and see if they can help you. Explain your situation and see what they can do.

With every vehicle that I have ever owned that was subject to a recall (including Chevy, Ford, Honda, Subaru & Toyota), the recall repairs were automatically performed when I brought the car in for service–whether I had specifically requested those repairs, or not. Thus, I am very surprised that a dealership failed to notify you of an outstanding recall.

As eddo implied, this is a matter that should be referred to Ford Customer Service at the corporate level. Contact info can be found in your Owner’s Manual.

There are different types of recalls…Which one are you referring to??

A dealer is under no obligation at all to inform you of any Recalls that exist and on a mandated Recall there is no expiration date.

A Campaign or voluntary Recall has time and mileage limits. Providing the type of vehicle and problem might help clear this up.

@VDCdriver I’m not surprised that Ford didn’t notify the OP about the recalls.

My brother’s Toyota has several recalls which haven’t yet been performed. Toyota has not contacted him. I know they haven’t been performed because I fixed one of the problems myself (before I knew about the recall) and I ran a vehicle master inquiry on his car from the Toyota website.
I know they have his address because Toyota sends him junkmail.

Our 2007 had a recall and I got a letter from Toyota to contact the nearest dealer and set up an appointment./ The process was painless.

If you are not the original owner of the car and/or have moved, nobody will be able to find you.

‘‘the recall’’…
WHAT RECALL ?
Ken G to ken p, which recall ? that may answer your question.
( all brands have many recalls every month, most don’t make the evening news, but recalls are a fact of the car business )

But each dealer acts differently concerning un-finished open recalls.
At my dealer, the service write up runs a history on every vin.
Even if only here for an oil change, when it shows to have an open recall, that work is added right to the ticket today.
If the customer doesn’t have the time to wait for the secondary work an appointment is made for later.
But all vins are run and all open recalls are performed here.

“Even if only here for an oil change, when it shows to have an open recall, that work is added right to the ticket today.”

^
That is exactly the way that it was handled by Chevy, Ford, Honda, Subaru, and Toyota dealers with whom I have dealt.

Generally, a dealer will run the VIN as Ken described. It’s good for business, as they get reimbursed for the recall work and don;t have to charge the customer. But in my experience, depending on the work to be performed they may not bother.

As OK4450 already stated, the dealer that originally sold the car has an obligation to try to track down the owner for mandatory recalls. I still get the odd “recall notice” on vehicles that I’ve long since parted company with.