Really bad

Drivers who stop at parking lot STOP signs - when no other vehicles are approaching.
We call them “Stoptional” and always go through them unless pedestrians or vehicles are present.

Kevin,
I’m going to slightly amend this thread and include people you share "the car " with. Technically, we are still sharing the road with our passengers; aren’t we ?
My biggest pet peeve are door slammers. Why passengers will slam your doors and never do it while entering your house, I don’t get. The idea that doors can be closed gently completely escapes a lot of people. Usually, the most petite are the biggest offenders, probably due to lack of strength and the need o employ more momentum. Regardless, figure it out and don’t slam the doors !

@Dag,agree a 100% -Kevin

@Robert Gift, I’m not being crass with you but 105 MPH is never completely safe even on clear roads with an alert driver and a vehicle in A-One condition. There’s always a risk.

Not many years ago the OK Highway Patrol used a few 4th generation Camaro Z-28s. A local trooper (pretty good guy too) was on a high speed run to a possible train/car wreck. There’s a sweeping left turn over an overpass here that is a bit iffy to take and is posted 55 although it can be taken at higher speeds if the driver is aware of the situation.

The trooper hit that curve at near a 100 and the tiny bump in the asphalt that makes the curve iffy threw the 2002 Camaro into the guardrail; killing the trooper. The car burst into flames and ammunition started cooking off. The fire damage eventually led to overpass crumbling and the entire overpass was rebuilt and finished just recently. Whether the trooper died of impact, fire, or ammo is unknown to me; it may have been all three.

The point being is that there was a trained in high speed driving state trooper behind the wheel of a low slung and well handling sports car who lost control anyway and died; and all due to basically a 2-3" tall partial ridge in the pavement.

Thank you, OK. Yes, there is always a risk.
My greatest concern is tire blowout or driveshaft breakage.

One can “control” other hazards by observing and slowing.
You can see ahead and slow before getting to curves, frozen bridge surfaces, areas where elk, deer, cattle or horses may be on or run onto the roadway.
You can see traffic ahead and slow before catching up to it.

We usually coast to a suitable speed without braking.
The top-heavy SUV must slow before some interstate curves.
I also slow even well below the speed limit before getting to mountain shadows where ice or water may be on the pavement which is dry everywherelse.

Ford says the Expedition is safe up to limiter speed.
An Expedition at 105mph is amazingly stable, smooth and quiet - until a tire blows.

Make sure your tires are speed rated-Kevin

“amazingly stable…” B.S. Only while going in a straight line.
An expedition is not stable when you have to make emergency maneuvers. I made this point yera(s) ago when you first gave us these Yoda responses to driving an Expedition 105mph…now we find out it’s with a girlfriend next to you.

People like you think all you have to do is rely on your own instincts and everything will be fine. Expeditions are very quiet and feel secure…until you have take an evasive maneuver at 105 mph. You have never driven the truck at speed on a training track and made them…obviously.

Yesterday, a piece of debris came on me so fast at 65 mph, I had time only to twitch the wheel to center it instead of taking it on a tire, which can be deadly. A 105 mph, I can’t imagine picking up the debris any quicker or expecting a truck to do anything that approached an evasive maneuver. 105mph ? Next time, do it without a passenger.

@RobertGift

Let’s get something else straight, while we’ve got you “on the line” . . .

A while back you were talking about your wife watching her Chinese movies

Now you’re talking about your Mexican girlfriend

Does the wife know about the girlfriend?

And vice versa?

LOL

on the line

You must have watched “The Internship”…GREAT movie.

@dagosa Ford seems to have learned a lesson in SUV instability and now provides a separate book in the glove compartment on how to actually drive such a vehicle.

I had a new company Explorer and read through that manual which stressed the different behavior of an SUV compared to a regular car. I’m sure the Expedition has a similar booklet. This gets Ford off the hook if the owner drives like he is in a NASCAR race, and then sues if he rolls the vehicle.

"expedition is not stable when you have to make emergency maneuvers"
Who is making emergency maneuvers? Never have made one. You scan ahead. If conditions are such that an emergency maneuver may be needed, you have already slowed.

But a meteor could hit the pavement and create an obstruction which could be unavoidable if too close at high speed.
(In mountains I slow where rocks could come down onto the highway. I also travel in the lane farthest from rock walls. Have never seen any fall but have seen them in lanes.
Same with animals. We see killed deer and elk but never Rocky Mountain bighorn sheep which also graze right next to the roaday.)

(Mexican girlfriend was years before wife.)

" Trained I am." " have never made one( emergency maneuver ) "
Robt. G Yoda! Has driven a lifetime and has never had to swerve to avoid anything. The ultimate Jedi. Everyone (thing) just levitates and gets out of your way. We can’t improve on that ! Carry on.

Has driven a lifetime and has never had to swerve to avoid anything.
Guess I be super lucky! All of my swerves have been gentle. Mostly signaled lane changes!

Just remembered:
In ice and snow, I was driving south on an arterial below the speed limit.
Woman was heading eastbound down a rather steep residential street. Told my GF, “She’s too fast for these conditions.” Watched as her wheels stopped turning and she was now sliding.
Anticipating a collision, I was already pumping my station wagon’s brakes to slow as much as possible while moving to our right to rub my tires against the curb to gain additional stopping resistance. Woman slid through her stop sign as I slid behind her, missing her rear by a foot.

As I gradually teach my 14 year old to drive, these subjects come up …like swerving.
We talked about it but I also reinforced the practice of reviewing, in your mind, what not to do because some of it can’t be practiced and when the time comes to do it , it needs to be second nature.
I told her " if you have to swerve over…do not swerve back !..do NOT swereve back ! make a gentle arc to get back on line. "

This weekend I let her drive in the snow and ice for practice. we both agreed that we need to start now. I told her to think of herself walking on ice and how her shoes feel as she tries…that’s how the car feels and to treat it the same way.
As we left our neighborhood we could see up on I-40 exit 26…a mass of wrecker, police, and abulance lights.
The eastbound traffic was completely parked for two miles.
– Today I spoke to a customer who was buying parts to repair his truck that was in that mele’.
Two of his three horses died in the crash and this morning’s paper said there was a human fatality as well.
Black ice…numerous vehicles and semis involved.

Tonight we’re having another conversation about bad weather driving.

I know this thread is old, but as a former hard core cyclist, I had to comment. I can assure those of you who don’t ride that many of us who ride get as angry at arrogant, inconsiderate cyclists as you do. I’ve been on “club rides” with cyclists that I would never ride with as friends.

Deer season is in place around here, and they just laid the first coating of salt on the roads last night; accidents should start to go up.
One thing I read about salting the roads that I never thought about is that the salt attracts deer(and moose in certain parts of the country). Places that switch out salt for something else has seen accidents drop after they switched. I know the other stuff is usually more expensive, so that’s probably why only a few places DON’T use it. Around here, there’s a microwave popcorn maker that gives/sells it’s outdated salt to ODOT to use on the roads, so that probably helps cut cost down, too.