Are drivers of certain makes of cars less safe?

According to this study, BMW, Subaru, and Porsche. Is it the driver, or the vehicle? Or is the study inaccurate, vehicle makes and their drivers have no relationship to the accident rate?

1 Like

This is the stuff insurances use to determine your risk. A minivan is considered to be driven much more safely than a Dodge Challenger. Now, one might have both cars and drive them both the same way. But as far as generalizations, recently I see more Tesla drivers going fast and not paying attention.
Some makes gravitate to buyers that have a sense of achievement and entitlement. That has been my observation.

7 Likes

Ain’t news to me! Drivers of those makes are entitiled. I see em around here, by-passing controlled intersections via corner gas stations and other establishments. Passing in the shoulders on highways, etc.

1 Like

I’m sure some drivers are less safe, it’d be different in the US than this article (GB).

Definitely! Have you ever seen a dangerous driver in a Skoda?

2 Likes

KIA drivers are the most common speed demons I see. You also have to factor in the percentage of cars on the road. BMW and Porsche got to be low on the list.

If I have to pick a brand, it would probably be KIA. Not only are these cars a target for theft lately but it also seems like they are more prone to accidents.

But for the most part, I don’t see a real correlation with brands and the way people drive. You will see certain types of people drive a certain brand, but not nessarily the driving style.

True on the Skoda, can’t be driven faster than the two guys pushing it can push.

Skoda has been partly owned by VW since 1991 and totally since 2000. The cars are the cheaper version of VW models built on the same platform. So the image of slow, broken Skodas is a bit outdated.

Around here the highway speedsters are often Land Rover models.

1 Like

While they don’t necessarily drive a lot faster than other people, my observation is that drivers of two makes are much more likely to engage in dangerous tailgating:
BMW
VW

If I am being tailgated, it is almost always done by one of those two marques.

3 Likes

I think the question is stated wrong. It should say: Do dangerous drivers tend to buy certain kinds of cars. My answer is yes - and the same for other posters!

5 Likes

Kind of like the old question,

Are all fishermen liars, or do only liars fish?

3 Likes

Idiots know no limitations. There are plenty of them to go around. Careless and reckless drivers are out there driving every kind of vehicle. There are no stereotypes that hold consistently.

5 Likes

I see your typical vehicles driving fast, but also I have been passed a lot while doing 80-85 MPH by mini vans, Prius’s, big SUV’s and full size trucks flying by me pushing 3 digits or more…

Most Corvettes, Porsches and other fast high end sports cars are sometimes the slower cars on the road… In my area anyway…

I tend to speed more in my stock Vibe/Matrix then my hot rod…lol

5 Likes

That’s the case in my area, also. The typical Corvette owner in my area is a Senior Citizen who drives very sedately. And, as potentially fast as Porsches are, I have yet to see one driven anywhere near as recklessly as most of the VWs that I observe.

4 Likes

Hey I resemble that remark. :laughing:

2 Likes

And we can’t leave out

1 Like

Yet another, most likely young guy in/with daddy’s car or money one, that doesn’t have the experience or know how or even understand how to handle a vehicle with big power on the street trying to show off for a crowd… They just don’t understand the gas pedal is NOT an on/off switch, it can be adjusted how much it is being pushed…

Basically anything over about 600HP is useless on the street unless on DOT slicks… It is all about power management… And yes it is nothing now to have 1500 HP plus on the street now a days…

I owned a red 84 Corvette during the 55 mph highway speed and radar gun days. I couldn’t speed … ever… because Ohio’s Finest acted like they were trying to cook me with radar guns even driving 54 mph in the right lane. My radar detector was screaming past every cop. I couldn’t have drawn more attention if I’d duct taped a girl with a box of donuts in her hand to the roof.

My silver Honda S2000 was a different story. Completely invisible to LEOs.

3 Likes

Maybe, but you’ll have hours of entertainment if you search out ‘Mustang driver fails’, they turn many ‘Cars and Coffee’ events (and other informal get togethers) into a ‘showoff followed by crash’ event.

2 Likes