At 105 mph, 2008 Expedition loses power

Is there a governer which prevents exceeding 105 mph?

I was going downgrade, straight and dry pavement on I-70.

Engine RPM was not high because not much load going downhill.

Thank you.

In California that governor is Arnold Schwarzenegger. Slow down Bob, you’re going too fast in that machine.

Maybe the speed limit is 100 MPH out west on I70 (uh, yeah, right). But it’s a mere 70 MPH or less in MD. If you are popped going even 20 MPH over the speed limit, you could lose your license, pay a multi-thousand dollar fine, and get that rap sheet you always wanted; you Gangsta, you.

Yes there is a governor and good reason. The stock tires are not rated for than 107-112 MPH. The suspension is not setup for high speed driving, and there are likely issues with the balance of the drive shaft(s) vibrating. Do you take your Cobra Mustang on the Rubicon trail, because what you’re doing with with Expedition is just as foolish IMHO.

Sell your over-weight lead sled and buy a proper sports car (BMW, MB, Audi or Porsche). I’d go for a 2003 – 2006 E55 AMG. It will carry three of your adult friends and all your luggage in high-end comfort. Easy to re-flash and raise the speed limiter to 186 MPH – fast enough for you?

Twotone

Thank you all.
This is an authorized emergency vehicle rushing blood to a hospital for a patient bleeding out in surgery.
The ride seemed very smooth and stable -I listen and feel for vibrations or anything that could reveal stress or imbalance.

Descending a steeper grade I was at 110 mph but that was with no power contributing so I did not notice the governor in effect.
RPM was not high because not under much load.

Just check the speed rating and inflation on your tires, I’d want a safety margin for that kind of use.

Good point! I did. They are T = 118 mph max.
This was on a very cool day and only for a few miles as I coasted down and exited.
Thanks.

Don’t let the cool weather fool you, that can cause your tires to be under inflated. I was surprised to see some tire burst from underinflation on an arctic crawler as it moved across the frozen tundra (on snow).

I have a hard time thinking your insurance carrier knows you are doing this. They review all SOPs for “authorized” emergency vehicles before issuing insurance. For example, just because you’re an ambulance doesn’t mean they would cover you for any speed. Under deep pockets rule, this hospital is opening itself up for a massive law suit. If they do surgery, how is it they don’t have this covered with blood on hand, delivery by helicopter, etc? This kind of run is best handled by a law enforcement sedan which is built and equipped with the intention of popping 110+ now and then. I know of SOPs such as ‘blue baby’ where it’s EMT and baby in the back seat and pedal to the metal in a police cruiser. An Expedition? Don’t want to be difficult. What am I missing?

Max is 44 psi. Inflated to 42 psi.
After such a run - mostly between 85 and 90 mph on I-70 - I wanted to measure the pressure. But I carried in 5 boxes of blood and headed home.

At 48,000 I had changed oil and filter and reset the change oil message.
Now, at 50,650 it reads: “Change oil soon”.
Oil remains clean and proper level.

Ford service guy says it tests oil breakdown.
How does it do that? Is message not determined by mileage?
Thank you.

You are correct.
Just short distances at 105 to 110 down grade.
Most of trip was 15 mph over speed limit.

Normally they stock sufficient blood but were running out for an unexpected trauma surgery.
Yes, police package sedans would be.tter for this.

Well, neither. There’s no little laboratory in there measuring oil components and oil breakdown. Neither is it a miles meter. Instead, it adds up the miles, the cold starts, the type of driving, and whatever else they build into their formula based on estimates of how hard certain driving and conditions are on the oil. At some point it says ‘enough’, and turns on the change oil light. I’d obey it.

The oil monitor uses parameters including odometer mileage, amount of idling, engine RPMs, ambient temperature, engine temperature, and who knows what other inputs to calculate when it is time to change the oil. In other words, the car’s computer software has determined that this engine is undergoing “extreme service”. (Hint, Hint)

While I would feel free to change oil more often than an on-board oil monitor suggests, I would NEVER change oil less often than it suggests.

I live on the bank of I-70 and I don’t know any place that even 70 MPH is safe. I am glad you don’t drive on I-435 (435 MPH).

Do you really need an overgrown houseboat of a vehicle to carry a few pints of blood in a cooler?

You’ve obviously never driven the full length of I-70, otherwise you would know that most of I-70 is wide open, flat and straight.

I’ve driven the whole length of I-70, from Beaver, Utah, to Baltimore, Maryland.
Between Denver to the Kansas Border, the speed limit is 75.

So your statement is quite false.

BC.

Yes, there is a speed governor on the Expedition.
Its installed on the truck to prevent idiots like you from going faster than 105 mph in that tank.

An Expedition is NOT the vehicle to be running around testing top speed capabilities of. Go get yourself a more appropriate vehicle if you have some deranged need to transport medical items at triple digit speeds. Preferably, something with great brakes, so that if something happens, you can slam on the brakes, and slow down in a fast, safe manner.

BC.

Or I-980 (980 MPH).

That’s what I thought!

I don’t drive fast where I’ll need to slam on the brakes.

Always gentle acceleration and gentle, usually coasting, deceleration.
No high RPM. Do not recall it exceeding 3500 RPM.

It was impressive how smooth and quiet the ride was.
I did not push any maneuvering/handling parameters.

My greatest concern was a tire blowing out.
Then they would be unable to tell my blood from the blood being hauled.

No, I did not do this where other vehicles were near.

Now I’ll go change the oil. Thanks for the explanation.