Random Clicking Turn Signals

This is on a 2004 Pontiac Grand Am 4 door V6. I have been living since this last spring with a random clicking that comes and goes in the car. The clicks are obviously coming from the center console and related to the turn signals; basically the same clicking noise as when the signals are activated only random and faster.

I know the problem is directly to the turn signals them selves and not the hazard lights since I have been able to remove the fuses on each (no, none where blown) and isolate which affects the clicking.

My guess is that I need to replace the actual mechanism that is in the dash (center above the radio) that makes the clicking or somehow disable it without turning off my turn signals. But I’m pretty sure this won’t completely solve my problem.

Any thoughts?

Thanks, Danny.

Try replacing the turn signal clicker (or flasher, or whatever it’s called), the thing that makes the actual clicking noise. It’s cheap, and it may solve your problem.

I had the same problem with my 2000 Blazer. It wasn’t the flasher, but the multifunction switch (turn signal, cruise, wipers, etc). It also seems to be a common problem with Grand Am’s, here is a link to a forum discussing this.

http://www.automotivehelper.com/topic21403.htm

Try googling “Grand Am multifunction switch” for more links. I replaced the switch on the Blazer, it was around $200 for the part. Try spraying some CRC electrical contact cleaner into the switch, you might get lucky, mine worked fine for 3 days after I did this. Hopefully, you’ll have better luck,

Ed B.