Radio Woes

Have a 1998 Ford Taurus. I can clearly receive the lower radio channels - around the low 90’s & below, but cannot receive any of the higher radio channels. It just cracks terribly and the station cuts in and out. We unhooked the antenna and didn’t receive any stations (including the lower ones) so we thought it was the radio. After installing the replacement radio, I still have the same trouble. Now I’m not sure what to try next. Any advise or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! THANK YOU!!!

If you replaced the part in the dash, you didn’t replace the radio. Tauruses of this era used a control panel in the dash to control the radio, which is located in the trunk. That is the part you need to look into replacing.

Check the antenna and connection.

Yes, I replaced the “dash” unit, which has what looks like the radio, heater and A/C controls, etc., it is one big oval unit that I used a special tool (shaped like a U) to remove. Where in the trunk will I find the actual radio unit and what part do I look for? Whenever I searched “radio”, I found the dash unit and not one mention of anything in the trunk. This is very interesting.