Radio Shortage 02 Durango

Went to put in an aftermarket radio and Like my dumb self I had forgotten to disconnect the negative to the battery and and messed something up… car wont crank; I have changed the starter, went through all the small fuses and swapped em out, changed the ignition starter switch still no crank. Going to swap out all the main fuses and pray for the best but any other ideas as to what other possible thing may have happened. I checked the alternator and the battery as well and the battery holds a charge… ALSO tried jumping the battery as well; made sure the connectors are nice and tight but not to tight.

Anti-theft stuff comes to mind. Other than that, there may be something in the manual with a troubleshooting procedure for what could be wrong.

1 Like

You need a test light or volt meter, wiring diagram and logic, Trace things backward from the starter and follow the wiring diagram.

2 Likes

Both great ideas above.

If you made any sparks… it may be a fusible link. Basically a big wire designed to burn like a fuse to protect the car. If anything lights up inside the car at all, that isn’t the problem.

2 Likes

The violet/yellow wire is for PCI BUS communication, if you connect this wire to something that it shouldn’t be connected to, the vehicle will not start.

1 Like

You may look on Crutchfields and if they sell the radio there may be an extra adapter needed.

How would I diagnose a tripped anti-theft system? I will be buying a meter to test power going into the starter solenoid and wire harness. Could it also be do to a faulty BCM?

Inspect the violet/yellow wire to the radio, if it shorted to ground or connected to the radio, the vehicle will not start. The CTM, immobilizer and PCM will not be able communicate with each other.

1 Like