Question about an oil change

I need to do an oil change on my 2022 Hyundai Elantra SEL soon and was trying to buy the tools I need. Was wondering if anyone knew what size socket I need to buy for the oil filter housing. Thanks in advance.

When you buy the replacement filter, use it to determine which cap wrench (socket) to buy. Get them at the same time, that is what I do for the first oil change on a newly acquired vehicle.

BTW, most new vehicles today call for a new oil drain plug gasket (washer) at every oil change so be sure to get one of those. It will probably be an M14, that is what they used in the past.

4 Likes

I would suggest you do what I do . I just have it done by the dealer until the warranty period is over. That way you have a record that it was done in case of a warranty problem .

Edit :@Axiis I think that Hyundai has a service program for a limited time on new vehicles that includes an oil change .

8 Likes

Another vote for the dealer, mine had good prices if I waited for the periodic coupon I’d get in the email.

4 Likes

Yes they do.

Keeping your new Hyundai running at its best requires regular care and maintenance. We encourage new owners to stay on top of it with Hyundai Complimentary Maintenance. Hyundai has you covered for normal, factory scheduled maintenance intervals for 3 years or 36,000 miles (whichever comes first). Benefits include:

• Engine oil and oil filter changes
  • Tire rotations
  • Multi-point inspections
  • Hyundai Genuine Oil filters & Hyundai Recommended Oil
3 Likes

Ok thank you!

Yea I didn’t think about it that way. just have a hard time trusting dealers.

Tester

Warranty work does not really pay enough for the dealer to pull any tricks on scheduled service . The chance of them not doing the oil and filter are really slim .

1 Like

If the dealership will change the oil and filter w/out a fee, I’d let them do this job. When picking the car up after they are don, before starting the engine I’d look under the car for leaks, and check the engine oil dipstick. I’d do the same after 15 minutes of driving. Then again the next morning. Make sure to keep the receipt the dealership gives you, and verify it has the correct mileage and date and what exactly they did, what type of oil they used, etc.

If you decide to do this yourself anyway – for example you don’t like the way the dealership handles it the first time – be sure to keep the auto-parts-store receipts for the oil and filter you used, making sure the receipts clearly indicate the date and identify the quantity & what type of oil & filter it is. You should note the car’s mileage on the receipts. You’ll need to show a complete set of receipts showing all the maintenance work was done on schedule using the correct products if there’s ever a warranty dispute.

Some good diy’er oil change tips have been posted here, use the forum search feature to find them.

1 Like

A lot of people don’t trust dealers and with good reason, with few exceptions they have only their best interests in mind. Having purchased a new Tacoma I see a lot of owners don’t even trust the factory engineers who recommend synthetic oil and filter changes at 10K miles. Rather than let the dealer do it free at 10K they do it themselves at 5K. They can’t get it through their skulls that synthetic is not conventional. They trust the engineers enough to buy their $45K truck but think the 10K oil changes are designed to ruin the engine so they buy another truck.

1 Like

More likely they do every other change themselves, between the free ones.

If I were doing a lot of short trips I would change the oil every 5K in my Toyota too.
Synthetic oil can get dirty with fine particulates under severe conditions just as fast as conventional.

Nor do I believe Toyota and other makers when they talk about “lifetime” transmission fluid

4 Likes

The thing is you have to understand how decisions are made in large organizations. We never know which engineers are recommending extended servicing or if it was the marketing folks that decided it. Just because it appears in the manual, doesn’t mean the engineers on the line doing the research all agreed or even had the benefit of long range, field testing. Even vice presidents are over-ruled by their betters to project a particular image.

So you just have to use your own judgement when seeing some of these recommendations from “the engineers”. I have had engines go well over 300, 400, and even 500,000 miles with no internal issues and more frequent oil changes. Sure, oil is not the same, cars are not the same, but some issues don’t show up for several years later and may or may not be widely shared. So do I believe everything I read?

This is what I did. BTW, “ToyotaCare” consists of what amounts to 2 “free” oil changes. Not a huge selling point, but I like Toyota.

As far as buying something else because Toyota recommends a 10k mile oil change - pretty much all manufacturers have gone to somewhat extended (over 5k mile) intervals and synthetic.

And as far as trusting the engineers, I remember around 2004 or so Toyota shortened their interval on some models due to problems with sludge. I think 10k miles with synthetic would probably be ok. But I know 5k miles with synthetic is going to be ok, even with severe duty. So that’s what I do.

I wonder if auto-repair shops have noticed any increase in major engine failures coinciding with manufacturer recommended 10k+ oil changes?

I bet they’ve noticed more “run low on oil” damage. People assume they don’t have to lift the hood for 10k miles. Of course, that isn’t the extended oil change interval’s fault. They just have twice the miles between changes for the oil to burn.

2 Likes