To Change Or Not To Change

My last oil and filter change was on 11/20/2020 at 102200 miles using Mobil One full synthetic 5w20 oil. The vehicle currently has 106700 miles and I am asking if I should be concerned with the oil breaking down due to the length of time it has been in the vehicle and change it even though total mileage since it was installed is low for it being full synthetic?
Thank you

I’ll bet your owner’s manual states to change the oil at least once a year.

1 Like

Yes, you are overdue for an oil change. Look in your owners manual, likely is says XXXX miles or XX months, whichever comes FIRST… 12 months being nearly everyone’s maximum. You are now at almost 15 months, so 3 months overdue.

Short trips are very hard on oil. Acids and moisture build up in the oil and must be removed, synthetic or not.

4 Likes

If you drive this daily, then the answer is an unqualified YES. When you drive daily but don’t rack up the miles because you are taking shorter trips, the oil will age just as fast as more miles and longer trips.

The hardest part on oil the period just after you shut down the engine. A thin film of oil coats all the hot parts of the engine and it is not being flushed away like it is when the engine is running. That film of oil absorbs a LOT of heat and breaks down rapidly. But it is only a small amount of oil and it gets flushed away on the next start.

But the repeated hot shut downs begin to accumulate and eventually the oil is so contaminated that it needs to be changed. So if you drive it daily, you have about the same amount of hot shut downs as someone who lives further away from their workplace.

Now if you only drive the vehicle occasionally, there is some controversy. On my new truck that I don’t drive daily, I change the oil every 6 months regardless in order to maintain the warranty. But once the warranty is up, I will go by miles instead because usually when I do drive it, it is for some distance, not just down the block.

1 Like

An oil change is, what, maybe $50? Call it closer to $100 for full synthetic.

How much does a new engine cost? I’d bet at least a couple $1000 dollars.

The math isn’t hard. Why do folks struggle so much with oil changes?

3 Likes

appreciate all of the feedback.

Here’s a 2.0 engine for a '19 Hyundai. A USED engine cost over $6000 my cost. With 15% markup, installation, and misc parts we are well over $10K.

2 Likes

all of the other replies here are correct. And, synthetic oil, while it has many worthwhile properties, does not extend your oil change interval.

4 Likes

Not by time. But perhaps it does by mileage? Not sure. That’s why I generally don’t use synthetic…I’m going to change it at 5k anyway, so what’s the point unless conventional isn’t an option (0w20).

It’s more resistant to breaking down under conditions of high heat. I’ve heard (I don’t remember where) that it has better flow properties under conditions of extreme cold.

1 Like

I don’t understand how oil chang places can justify shuch a large differential between conventional and full synthetic when I cn buy a 5 quart jug of the same brand full synthetic for less than $5 more than the conventional oil.

I don’t have to justify it. It’s what the market will bear, and therefore what it’s worth. We charge $49.95 for a regular oil change and $89.95 for synthetic. And we are busy all week long.

The real question is why are oil changes so damn cheap.

In 1986 when I was a high school kid with my first job at the corner Chevron station, minimum wage was $3.35, a pack of cigs cost me $1.40, and gas was .93/gallon. The shop labor rate was $40/hr and a lube, oil, filter change with 5 qts was $27. Today minimum wage is $12, a pack of smokes is $8, gas is $4/gallon. We just raised the shop labor rate to $144/hr but the oil change is only $49.95. I can make more money replacing a headlamp than I can doing an oil change.

A conventional oil change is a money-losing proposition for the shop, and a full synthetic oil change is just less of a money-losing proposition. Truth be told, a regular oil change should be $100.00 or more.

2 Likes

AWD Santa Fe?
Looks like there is a rubber (coolant?) hose that comes mighty close to the exhaust manifold.
That bit of metallic tape doesn’t give me a lot of confidence in the long run.

Just out of curiosity, are you located in the northeast? The shop I tend to use the most (central VA), charges $70/hr for labor, with dealers charging around $120/hr. The higher priced independent shops tend to top out at $100/hr.

Why would an owner replace a 2019 motor? Flip?

Every vehicle I’ve owned since synthetic oil was made widely available all said that if you use synthetic oil do NOT change the oil change interval. Oil companies will say their synthetic oil can last x-amount of miles. The car manufacturers say otherwise. Do as you wish. But I surely wouldn’t extend oil change intervals if still under warranty.

2 Likes

I don’t think a motor will die under warranty. With proper oil changes. Hyundai excluded.

Hyundai…Where you getting that? Maybe earlier Hyundai’s…but they’ve had a pretty good solid reputation on reliability for the past 10+ years.

My son got a replacement engine from Hyundai under warranty at 96,000 miles. You have to give Hyundai credit for standing behind their warranty. Still, I would rather have a car’s engine last at least 200K without significant repair.
On the flip side for Hyundai, I have seen a lot of complaints about dealers, for their sales departments. Do other people also see that?

Yes, there’s a car broker who posts over on Jalopnik that has related several horror stories about Hyundai and Kia dealers.