Public Action General Feedback

I believe someone mentioned a workaround for the login problem. when it has you log in the first time, leave it blank and hit log-in. It should take you to a screen that has a box you can check to leave you logged in and you won’t hafta click anymore terms of service boxes.

I agree completely about seeing the original post. I imagine that “they” will fix it. In the meantime, to see the original message you can call up the original message in another browser or tab. Or you can select everything you have typed and copy it to the clipboard (Edit-Copy) or Ctrl-C (probably) or Ctrl-Insert(maybe). Then you back out with the left arrow, read the original message, select reply, and paste back your text (Edit, Paste) or Ctrl-V or Shift-Insert. Appearances notwithstanding, The clipboard thing is actually pretty siraightforward once you get used to it.

The old boards never gave me this when I tried to enter the forum.

An error has occurred.

For detailed error information, please see the HTML source code, and contact the forum Administrator.

ORA-01795: maximum number of expressions in a list is 1000

Tried to view car questions at 07:18 on 6/15/07 and got this message. ORA-01795: maximum number of expressions in a list is 1000 Was unable to see any of the discussions.

I can’t get the search function to work at all. I’ve typed “a/c” “ac” “air conditioner” and I get “0 results.” Then I browse the topics and see all of these words. What’s up with that?

Bring back edit. The arguments that edit leads to confusing threads are wrong. We had edit on the old board and it didn’t confuse anyone. The people that post here do not have sub-50 IQ’s. They can handle edited posts. I promise.

I gave the new board a fair chance, I?ve tried hard to like the new board, but I can?t.

It sad to see a resource like this squandered and wasted. Yes I know the old board had problems, yes I can understand it was a pain to administer and approver all the posts. But to try to use a piece of software for something it wasn?t designed for is crazy. There are MANY GREAT BBS programs out there that are much easier to administer then the old board. Most have been named in other posts here.

The administrators should take note of the people who said they are leaving, old timers, who have spent many an hour posting, helping other people, and in a lot of cases without so much as a thanks at the end. When those people leave, your board starts to die.

I?m going to make a prediction, soon you?re going to start seeing trolls, you?re going to have a lot of name calling and the board will become useless, I hope I wrong, but I?m willing to bet I?m not. After all it happened here once before.

Maybe I?ll be back if they ever fix this board or get the proper software, but I wonder how many of the people who left will come if and when they fix the board?

Oh well, good bye for now.

You realize, of course, that you fixed something that was not broke?

Absolutely, having those features from the old board on the new one would make navigation soooooooo much easier!!!

Marnet

For some reason, I can’t just login once but must keep doing so multiple times in one session. It seems to happen if I hit the back button for any reason.

The old board may have needed some work on the codes and may have needed to fix some problems with the quotation protocols, etc. Overall, though, frankly it was easier to navigate, took less time to scan through for topics and didn’t require backing up and starting over at the top the way this board tends to require.

I will give credit to the nice crisp look of this board and its easy readability.

How about incorporating some of the features everyone is so missing from the old board into the enhancements, improvements, and such of this new version? In other words, the best of both worlds would be great!

Thanks.

Marnet

I would like to see more posts per web page and more posts on the screen at the same time. For an example of what I’m talking about, check out phpbb http://www.phpbb.com/community/

How do I found out the date of the opening thread’s initial posting? I can see the date for all the replies, but I can’t seem to see the date for the initial question.

Seeing how some of these discussions are going, I believe someone should have to login before being able to post (even though I didn’t log in to post this).

Thanks,
Joe

Please:

1. A “remember me” feature at the log-in.

2. I feel like I’m starting all over; I’ve been a member of the discussion board since 2002 or 2003 can you bring over our old statistics?

3. The ‘post a reply’ box that now pops up. You can’t move it and thus you can’t go back and re-read the post you’re replying to. Can we at least be able to move the reply box out of the way or somehow be able to view the original poster’s question while we’re replying?

4. And please don’t allow anonymous users to post. People need to register and reply correctly.

5. Please bring back spell check! :slight_smile:

Thank you

Well, I’m considering leaving too. I haven’t seen much response from the web monkeys here, either that or I JUST CAN’T FIND THE NEW POST FROM THEM.

Are ANY of the web monkeys out there even reading this thread? Or can’t they find the new post eather?

The lack of response tell me a lot, it’s telling me they just don’t care about the board. I may be wrong, I hope I am, but come on guys let us know what’s going on here. Are we stuck with this poorly designed board or not? If we are can it be fix?

Maybe it’s time to take stock of what’s being said here, you have a lot of complaints and we only had a few answers. Many be it time to take a step back, bring back the old board, and pick some better software.

Well, I’m going to stick it out for another week or two and then decide.

My opinions are subject to change with new facts.

I have to agree rwee2000. Lack of response, even something saying, “we’re still working on it” is very discouraging. It looks like I have a cursor on Firefox now, but I’m on a different computer, so it may be a Firefox on Windows issue. Anyway, my point is that it would be nice to get a status update once in a while to know that the suggestions are at least being considered. Once a week would be nice.

I’d really like a way to see the new posts since I last logged in as I could do easily in the old system. While this new one keeps responses with the post they are responding to, it also screws up the posting order without highlighting the new stuff so it’s really hard to see what has been added some times.

Why can’t I edit!?!? I meant to say that even an occasional note saying “we’re working on it” would be less discouraging. I would have fixed my original note instead of making this a reply if I could have edited it. Sigh.

cant post a picture in create new discussion, so you will need to post a reply on your new created discussion

OK, this is ridiculous. Somebody posting as jrannis just put some spam in the car questions area. The problem is he/she/it seems to be replying to various people without logging back in, so there are a whole bunch of “anonymous” posts which really seem to be from this person, but you can’t be sure.

Sorry, allowing anonymous posting is a bad idea. It makes it very difficult to know who’s saying what to whom.

FYI, I’m going to try flagging the first spam post in that thread as inappropriate just to see what happens . . .

I think we should setup a poll to see if the “Old Board” should be returned until the bugs are ironed out of the “New Board.”

I give CarTalk credit for trying but I’m afraid you’re going to lose too many people because:

1. constantly getting dropped
  2. replies not posted in chronological order (very frustrating)
  3. anonymous posting due to both system problems and trolls

P.S. Isn’t it great to be in IT department? :slight_smile:

OK I’ve all but had it, it keeps losing my log-in I can’t find the posts I want to read, we still haven’t see the migration of topics from the old board. Maybe it time to start our own board. Anyone know of a good place to host, perferable free or at low cost, to host a bbs? Let me know.

My opinions are subject to change with new facts.