Public Action General Feedback

This does work, boy I was getting very tired of logging in every time I changed a page. It also makes the edit profile link appear, which does not appear with the regular logon.

In the old board, there was a link to go back to the index page you were on after viewing a post. This on takes you back to the beginning everytime. I know I could use the back button, but I preferred the index link because it was quicker.

I agree that the old forum was clunky. But it was possible to quickly find a previous thread/message/conversation. Now there is no way to link to an individual thread or message. Fatal flaw.

Many other forums use software that is better than the old forum… but I don’t know of any that are worse. I don’t understand what you were aiming for, but you’ve failed. You should just reopen the old forum until you come up with something better.

You guys may know your way around a web page, but I don’t think you ever really used the old forum. If you had, you’d know that 95% of the members were newbies asking questions and 5% were veterans answering them. In your attempt to create something so simple even the stupidest newbie can figure out, you’ve dumbed it down so the veterans are going to give up on it.

Then, after a short time, the newbies will stop posting because they can never get a decent answer.

You started out with a great brand and a great sponsor. You’re wasting the brand by attaching it to such a pointless endeavor. This could be one of the top automobile-related websites, but it can’t be with the current format.

I will continue to log in occasionally to see how it’s going. But this site has lost me as a regular contributor.

And just to demonstrate how lame this forum software is… I WAS logged in, but when I posted the immediately previous message, it came up as being posted by Anonymous! This should NEVER happen.

i have a question regarding a 20004 buick lasabre…how do i get in on the car question list???

After doing search I finally found really outstanding honest mechanic, but I am disappointed to see when I did a search on your site he was not listed to submit a review for. Is their a way to either prompt that he be added somehow or is their some way for me to add him myself that I am not seeing?

The name of his business is:

Rob’s Automotive Repair
Automotive, Auto Repair, Brakes

3501 N Argonne Rd
Spokane, WA
Phone: (509) 891-7700

When you’re logged in, there’s a “create a new discussion” link by your username. That allows you to post a question to the community.

It is very hard to edit a post. No cursor is displayed.

I have Windows XP and Firefox 2.0.0.4.

After a week of doing my best to find some glimmer of hope, I must give up and say goodbye to many old friends I met here. Perhaps it’s for the best, I spend too much time on the computer anyway.

The tremendous knowledge I gleaned from the experts here mostly went to waste but when needed, it let me hold my own in any automotive discussion and saved me bundles of money on my own vehicles, thanks only to the true experts that used to frequent the forum.

It is unconscionable to expect us to open and read every thread from the beginning, post by post to possibly find a new reply.

Your “improvement” gives me no way to view new messages since my last visit. Even worse, new replies are appended to the message replied to, forcing me to look through every thread from the beginning to see if something new was posted.

The anonymous posts have got to stop. I want to see exactly who posted a particular message along with his credentials - join date, # of posts, etc. The real experts must be acknowledged.

I have no idea what your future plans are for this thing but as a forum it’s toast and I’m going to miss it.

You have my email address, let me know if you ever get your @#$% together again.

IRC/Java chat room would be an interesting format to play around in. I’m on IRC alot anyways, so it wouldn’t be too much of a hassle to go into one more room/server.

Do you have a time table on bring over the old posts? Some of the threads were quite long Ray’s Modest Proposal: A Graduated Gasoline Tax had something like 360+ posts so there was a lot of stuff said and I can easily see it all being rehashed again.

Now, my comments on the NEW board, edit button, spell check, would be nice. We need a way to view new messages since my last visit

Anonymous posts just invite trolls, or have you forgotten already what happened to the last board before it was fully moderated? Community moderation is nice, but the troll?s commits still get posted, a LOT of people will get offended and a LOT of people will leave. Yes, approving every post is a pain, if you needed help, I?m sure a lot of the senior posters would have been more then happy to help out. I?d be willing to commit to helping out every night.

I have tested the Flag as inappropriate button it doesn?t remove the post, so just how long does the message stay until someone decide that the content isn?t appropriate? How many ads are we going to have to wade though for male enhancement or worse? Don?t fool yourself into thinking it won?t happen, I have left many a board, not because I wasn?t active, but because of the ads, trolls making stupid comments, and links to things that would get you tossed into jail. So what is the plan to keep trolls out and stop that kind of stuff from happening? I left the old board once because of trolls and only came back after it was moderated. Do you plan to let trolls run wild and after they kill the board do you plan on pulling the plug? If that is what you want, just pull the plug and get it over with.

Bring back the ranking system.

My opinions are subject to change with new facts.

OK, now that my old user name has been moved over I will hang around for a bit. I would still like to see the missing cursor fixed for Firefox browsers. It’s difficult to edit my postings without it. I’m not totally opposed to this new format, I’ve been through at least two changeovers before this one, so I can deal with changes. Some things are just plain broken. The cursor problem seems most obvious and since I was just away for a week I would have thought that would be fixed by now.

Feature requests that others have made are certainly worthwhile. Things like some sort of flag that shows new postings in a thread since last viewed, etc.

Oh, by the way, “star ratings” are useless. They either get all 5 or nothing on most posts, and usually that’s because only one or two people ever rate a post. It’s a feature in search of a need. Didn’t the old BB have a star rating of some sort? Did it get used? Really!?

ok, I have a 1946 chevy pu street rod I am having engine problems with is this a good site to ask high proformance question or is there a better site to go to
thanks kennedy

1. I don’t think spaces should be significant in usernames.

2. I somehow got into a strange login loop. I put in my username and password, but it went straight to the login page, so I thought I wasn’t logged in. After doing this three times, I realized I was logged in, but the system was putting up the login page anyway. A little frustrating.

I agree with the others who said the old forum (user interface) was better (I can’t comment on the maintainability).

My top priority enhancements would be:

1. Cursor shows insertion point in new messages (Firefox).
  2. Some way to jump to first unread message.
  3. No anonymous posting.
  4. Ability to customize user experience (e.g. more than 10 topics per page, display order of responses, etc.)

I’ve used a fairly good number of web forum software, and my experience is that the best discussions happen which the most featured software. My guess is you’re going to see the results in metrics like number of posts per day.

I’m about ready to jump ship, I just spent a good 10 minutes to look for the new post on a thread, not reading them you understand just looking for them. That was something I could do in seconds on the old board. I can think of a few work a rounds, but really this software wasn?t designed for this kind of thing. We could try just posting re to the last person with the first line say to: that way we can find the new posts, and we know who it?s for.

Hope it gets better soon, hanging in there so far.

My opinions are subject to change with new facts.

Out of all the features missing, Someone thought it important to have a TOP button, yet it does not go all the way to the top to show the menu bar???

I’ve been dropped 5 times in the last 10 minutes. Is something wrong? It’s quite aggrevating. My signal is good on this end. You’d know who I was if I hadn’t been dropped again just as I switched to this thread.

jtsanders

And I hate it when I have to agree to your terms of service 50 times each night. (when my session is cancelled)

I am also missing a cursor in the reply window. (Mozilla Firefox.) Well, I was. Now it is showing. You guys are AMAZING!