Proximity keys

My friend’s new Lexus has a proximity key, which automatically unlocks the car as he approaches the car. Then to start the car there is a start/stop button.

Recently we attended a conference which lasted all day. As we approached the car that night we noticed that the headlights were on (an automatic feature which turns on the lights when it gets dark).

As we got to the car, we were surprised to see that the engine was running, and obviously had been idling all day.

He had forgotten to push the “stop” button when we left. We did recall having trouble locking the doors when we left, and had to resort to using a little mechanical key/tool which was housed in the proximity transmitter.

Today in the paper I read of a family who were overcome by carbon monoxide because a car was left idling in the garage all night.

I’m wondering if this is a common occurrence with this automatic unlock system, i.e., forgetting to turn off the car’s engine.

I guess that Lexus is too quiet :slight_smile: My car will not lock itself if its running. I am guessing that one did not and beeped back(mine does).

On the CO problem people need to realize it can/will save your life owning a CO detector in their home.

I wouldn’t say this is common, but it’s not unheard of, either. The door locking trouble should have been a tip-off that the car was still running.

Hasn’t been a problem for us. Wife’s 97 Lexus has that system. Although the doors don’t unlock when you approach. On her’s (don’t know why your’s is different) if you touch the drivers door then ONLY the drivers door unlocks. If you touch any of the other doors ALL the doors unlock.

My car will not allow you to exit with the locks locked if the key is in the ignition. You can, however, lock it while it’s running manually from the outside with a seperate key.

On the same note; is it really too much of a hassle to push the unlock on the remote and then insert a key in the ignition to start. Why do they go to this fancy keys? I also don’t get the power seat concept. Just one more thing to break and seriously it does not take Arnold to position a manual seat. Maybe its me, but I would like to hear what you guys think, esp since now we are talking CO poisoning just for not having to pull out a key from our pocket.

I thought with those systems if you walked off with the keys in your pocket the car would automatically shut off once the key’s out of range?

Re: Power seats
Most (not all) manual seats only adjust front to back. Power seats adjust up and down, tilt, and seat back angle/recline. My cars have power seats with memory. My wife and I are different sizes, and the memory feature is well worth it. When either of us go to drive either car, the seat automatically sets itself to the correct position. Also, when the key is removed, the seat moves back to allow for easier exit/entry (as does the steering wheel).

The first time I dealt with proximity keys was with the 98 (when the model change was made)Corvette. They were always a source of problems, with programing, and percieved poor function,I was kept busy with this kind of work but it paid terrible.

Another problem was the “Home Link” garage door opening system offered by GM and others,the range was terrible, it was better just to use your standard garage door opener and not tie it to the car.

So many examples of features that are suppose to make life-----I can’t think of the word but end up sources of danger or at least frustration.

The HomeLink that Lincoln uses now works quite well and has good range.

More fancy-schmancy toys that become nothing but trouble as the age and malfunction.

This was my understanding as well. My friend has a Suzuki (!) and it has the prox key. I believe it works this way.