Protecting electric window & door lock buttons

I have a 2005 Honda CR-V which I bought last Sept. I am still recovering from a wreck a year ago in which I demolished my 1993 Toyota, and almost myself. My problem is that when it’s raining, the controls on the door get wet while I am getting myself into the car. I move very slowly; it takes some effort and time to get into the vehicle (I am 4" 8" tall.) I always wipe off the controls after I am in, but can anyone think of an easy way to protect them from getting wet in the first place? I don’t want to ruin them; this is the first car I’ve had with automatic locks & windows, and I love them. I love the car, too; I can see so much better.
Thank you for any suggestions you may have.

mama cat

I’ve had many occasions where me, the wife, or kids left the windows down, and a thunderstorm drenched the car, including seats and door switches. Yet, I’ve never had a problem with the switches going bad. I have had a 15 yo Toyota truck, currently drive a 25 yo Toyota Supra and a 13 yo Ford Explorer, all with original switches. I think your worried about nothing. Relax and enjoy the car.

I agree with BustedKnuckles. The engineers who designed the car accounted for this situation. I’ve never had a problem with the electric windows in the 25 years I have owned cars so equipped. On the other hand, I have had window cranks break on manual windows. Fortunately, there was a HELP section of parts like this in auto parts stores where I could get a replacement crank that would open and close the window. However, these cranks never matched the original equipment.
The only car I ever saw that had problems with the power windows was on a 1948 Buick convertible that my widowed aunt owned. In those days, the windows were hydraulically operated. A seal started leaking and when you rolled the window up, it would gradually lower itself. She was visiting us when it happened and my dad took the car to the dealership where he traded. When the car was ready, my brother and I picked the Buick up and on the way back home, gave the Buick some much needed exercise (I was in high school at the time and my aunt never drove it faster than 50 mph). At any rate, the window worked well and my aunt called the garage to thank them for their fast service and also commented that they must have done some work on the engine because it had more pep and ran smoother and hadn’t been charged for the engine adjustment. The next time I was at the servicde department, the service manager gave me hell for hot-rodding that Buick.

I also agree with the above comments. The only problems I have encountered have been switches going bad and wiring harness problems near the door hinges.

The switches do handle some moisture without problem. If you keep a dishtowel in the storage area of the door, you can put the dishtowel over the switches before you open the door. If it isn’t too windy the towel should stay put enough to catch any rain water before it can get down inside the switches.

Agree with the concensus, they’re pretty well protected against fluid ingress. However, if it makes you feel better to protect them, how about using that newer type of self-adhesive saran wrap? I forget what it’s called but it sticks really well to most surfaces yet doesn’t leave a residue when you remove it. Cut a sheet a bit oversized and then when you apply it, make sure to leave a bit loose so you can work the buttons.

Thank you all for your help; I really appreciate your time. I will carry a towel and look for the plastic wrap at the store. Thanks for reassuring me.