Pricy repairs

i drive an infiniti fx 45,2003 model.i visited the infiniti dealership recently and they gave me a long list of repairs that need to be done on my truck including fuel induction,transmission flush,replacing spark plugs etc and all totalled about $1,000.my question is ’ should i have these repairs done at say jiffy lube,midas ,meneike or any certified ASE mechanic for a cheaper cost without compromising the quality of work?are there any serious threat to my car by not going with my dealer?

Most independent mechanics can do just as good quality work on these items for a much lower cost. I’d recommend finding a mechanic that you know or trust and turn him lose on it.

Fuel induction? Are you experiencing driveability issues? Transmission flushes are a bad idea. You want to drain and fill (exchange) the fluid, not flush it.

It looks to me that your dealership is looking to make some boat payments. 

Dealers are no better (or worse) than independent mechanics for almost anything you might need done on your car.  They will almost always charge more per hour and often more for parts and supplies.  They also tend to look at repairs a little different than the independent. 

A dealer may well recommend work that strictly may not be needed, but could be connected to the problem or maybe replace a part when a little repair would fix it ALMOST as good a new.  

There is no need to bring your car to the dealer for any service other than service that is going to be paid for by a recall or original warrantee.  During the warranty period be sure to have all required (as listed in the owner's manual) maintenance done and to document all maintenance work.

I suggest that most people would be better off finding a good independent (Not working for a chain) mechanic. 

Note: Never ever use a quick oil change place. They are fast cheap and very very bad.

Note #2: some of the stuff on your list is most often used to increase dealer profit, not to do anything for your truck.

I suggest you find another mechanic or two and get second (and third) opinions. You may need to have your transmission fluid replaced. When was it last done? Also, how many miles are there on your FX45? If you have high mileage spark plugs, they are often replaced around 100,000 miles. I guess you mean fuel injection instead of fuel induction. If the truck runs well (no missing, unchanged gas mileage), I would forego the plugs and fuel injector cleaning. You can get your fluids changed at a fast lube place like Jiffy Lube if you want, but they are not all the same. I use a JL near me for all 4 of my cars and they provide honest, reasonable suggestions for service. Like other auto shops, there are good ones and bad ones. I happen to have found a very good Jiffy Lube, but there are bad ones judging from the stories we hear on this board.

Transmission flush and new spark-plugs are probably wise thing to do. I have no idea what a fuel induction is.

But $1000 for this is absurd…

Find a good independent and have them do it. Places like Midas and Meineke work on commission. They’ll try to sell you unneeded services. Jiffy-Lube…I wouldn’t let them add washer fluid.

Good independents are the way to go.

Whether the 1000 price is absurd depends on what that long list of services actually is.
The OP states that it INCLUDES an induction service, transmission flush, and spark plugs along with an “etc”.
The 1000 dollars is not necessarily for those 3 things.

Given the age of the vehicle (mileage unspecified) the car likely needs all of that and an induction service means cleaning of the throttle body, EGR ports, and possibly intake manifold removal. Details of this would help to clear the waters.

Step number one: get your owners manual out, see what you need based on miles and time.
Step number two: find a good independent mechanic have them do what’s needed.

“Whether the 1000 price is absurd depends on what that long list of services actually is.
The OP states that it INCLUDES an induction service, transmission flush, and spark plugs along with an “etc”.
The 1000 dollars is not necessarily for those 3 things.”

Point taken…I missed the etc…

The manufacturer of your vehicle recommends that the transmission fluid be replaced every 60,000 miles.

The manufacturer recommends that a transmission fluid exchange machine be used to perform this service. The reason being, they warn against just draining and refilling the transmission fluid because this doesn’t remove any debris that may be located inside the transmission cooler in the radiator or the cooler lines. If this debris should become dislodged and return to the transmission it can cause the transmission to malfunction which may result in transmission damage.

Tester