Pontiac Bonneville 2005 Window trim is suddenly fading to grey?

Can any one explain tome why the black window trim at the bottom of the window on the front passenger’s door, is turning from black to grey? and what I can do to stop this and correct black to black?

When It Gets Light Outside And Stops Snowing, I’ll Go Have A Look At My Bonneville And See If I Can Tell What You’re Seeing.

I don’t know why it would suddenly do that . . . sun, environmental causes ?

Have you tried polishing with wax or applying an Armor-All type product ?

CSA

There’s a product called Black Magic that is made to restore the black color to rubber and plastic trim. I’d try that myself. Can’t explain why the trim is fading in only one spot though.

Mike

It’s probably doin git in only one spot because the OP parks in the same spot every day…subjecting the same area to the sun.

I’d try the Black Magic.

I agree with @Proacfan and @thesamemountainbike. I have seen the trim fade to gray in one spot if the driver or passenger rests their arm on the window a lot with the window rolled down.

Its just fading in the sun. If you really want to fix it, SEM has many colors available in a spray can for vinyl trim that works very well. Pull the piece off, clean it and refinish it to match. I used some on my Riviera on the leather and vinyl roof and got a perfect factory match. Made for plastic and vinyl. From my color chart they have about three different blacks available, satin, graphite, and regular so whatever would be the factory match. NAPA carries some colors and maybe could order others. Otherwise I’ve gotten it from Atrim.com out of Oklahoma City if I remember right but its been a while.

FWIW, I Checked My 05 Bonneville That Sits Outside Almost All The Time With The Driver’s Side Having A Southern Exposure (Lots Of Sun) And The Passenger Side A Northern (Less Sun, Shadier) Exposure.

All four black plastic trim pieces, the ones along the bottom of the door windows, are all pure black with no fading or color/hue differencs.

" Can any one explain tome why the black window trim at the bottom of the window on the front passenger’s door, is turning from black to grey? "

No, I really can’t understand it, sorry. The parts don’t appear to be painted black, but rather molded in that color.

CSA

Thanks to you all for great ideas! I will try the Black magic and then the paint from Napa. Thanks again!

Just a caution, depending whats in that Black Magic stuff, if it has any silicone in it, you’ll never get paint to stick to it. It’ll just bead up or skim away. Might want to try a test piece of the stuff on something, then see if regular paint will coat over it first.