P0122 Error Code

I just purchased a 2002 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Edition and noticed that the gas gauge won’t go all the way to the full mark. I also seem to be loosing power when maintaining highway speeds and get less than expected gas mileage. The check engine light has been going on and off. I checked the error code and it is P0122 which is the TPS. If I have the TPS replaced could that resolve the gas and power issues?

Code P0122 means that the signal voltage is low from the throttle position sensor (tps). This doesn’t mean that the tps is bad. It could be from a wire which has a poor, high resistance, connection. You can measure the circuit with a multimeter, if you want to know BEFORE you have changed the tps. Or, you can change the tps, and then, do the measurements.

Thank you, I’ll check the voltage and see if that’s okay and then go from there.

Like hellokit said. The specs for testing the TPS should be in a repair manual (Haynes or Chilton’s are about $20 & worth the investment), although Autozone’s online repair manuals might also provide the specs (http://www.autozone.com)

Other than that you just need a multimeter. I don’t need one regularly - just for the occasional home or car service/repair so I just bought a cheap $10 one that has been working admirably for quite some time.

PS - I’d also throw a new fuel filter on it just for good measure - surely can’t hurt.

Thanks,
I’ll get a mutimeter and check the voltage. and replace the fuel filter. I doubt its ever been changed the vehicle has just under 40,000 miles on it.