Oil pressure gauge not working

After getting fuel filter fixed, decided to change plugs, wires, distributor cap and rotor. 2 days later oil pressure gauge quit. Dip stick showed normal operating level. Connection to switch is secure. Replacement cost runs from $8.50 to $36. AC DELCO $20 to $30 range. Is it worth getting high dollar switch or get chain brand?

The sending units can go bad.

I don’t know if there’s a quality difference between the cheaper and more expensive, but oil pressure monitoring is more important to me than $30. I’d spend extra.

If this is the v6 engine, some have a fliter in the same hole that the sending unit goes into. It filters the oil going to the lifters. It’s not more than a screen that only keeps out the large chunks, but it can be problematic. If you have one, be sure to replace it at the same time as you replace the sending unit.

I’d get the ac Delco. I wouldn’t mess with the cheap ones.

You can do the ohm test to know if your sending unit is faulty.

Good thing this isn’t a Chevy Vega. The fuel pump power ran off the oil sending unit. Sending unit not working or low oil pressure and the car won’t start/run.

For a part that cheap, there’s no sense in not getting the OEM part.

Do you have a gauge or a light? If it a gauge, typical failure results in the gauge reading max all the time, even with the engine off but the ignition switch in the run position. A zero reading on the gauge, or anything below 15 psi or an oil light on could be either the oil pump or that little filter I mentioned above. Could also be a clogged oil filter.

I went to get OEM part and was told it wasn’t available. Figured I needed to get the old one out. What’s in the dash is a pretend gauge. Goes 0-80.when it failed, it dropped to 0, accelerating or not. Cut switch off, reads 0. Turn switch on, no movement. In trying to get old one out, i disengaged electrical connection. Cranked engine, gauge is registering, but dash lights out. Continuing to try to get old one out. Old one has 2 tabs. None of the ones showing will fit, have 2 tabs.Have tried socket, but no room to move ratchet
Not enough room to get vise grips, adjustable wrench, or slip joint
pliers. Have taken tire off, removed inner fender liner. Still can’t get it. Might take oil filter off, May try loosening exhaust pipe. There has got to be a way. . Open to any suggestions

Oil pressure switch socket.

Tester

maybe ratchet extensions and swivel with above socket.
a picture might help to give you ideas to get it out.

Rock Auto has 1, 2 and 3 blade sensors/switches for that vehicle (with pictures). The 2 blade sending unit is for the warning light.

This is an oil pressure sending unit socket for that type, a wrench or ratchet can be used. A regular socket can be used but this one is thin walled and has a specific height/depth.

I have seen the external screen you mentioned but the parts places I called don’t seem to know what I’m talking about. I was surprised that of the switches listed, how few actually say will fit. Once I get the old one out, maybe I’ll find that the p/n is so old, that’s why it’s unavailable. Correct me if I’m wrong, but oil swish [quote=“JimFreeman, post:10, topic:178670, full:true”]
I went to get OEM part and was told it wasn’t available. Figured I needed to get the old one out. What’s in the dash is a pretend gauge. Goes 0-80.when it failed, it dropped to 0, accelerating or not. Cut switch off, reads 0. Turn switch on, no movement. In trying to get old one out, i disengaged electrical connection. Cranked engine, gauge is registering, but dash lights out. Continuing to try to get old one out. Old one has 2 tabs. None of the ones showing will fit, have 2 tabs.Have tried socket, but no room to move ratchet
Not enough room to get vise grips, adjustable wrench, or slip joint
pliers. Have taken tire off, removed inner fender liner. Still can’t get it. Might take oil filter off, May try loosening exhaust pipe. There has got to be a way. . Open to any suggestions
[/quote]

maybe what you are trying to get out is just for the light on the dash and not for the gauge

Everything I read said a special socket.YouTube said a deep set
Socket 1 and 1/16 so thar’s what I have been using. $11 at Lowe’s.
Started this before and IPad froze up.My understanding is oil switch controls oil pressure reading and power to dash lights. There are 2 water temp sensors, one sends signal for coolant temp
and the other provides power to fuel pump. After replacing pump, it didn’t work. Called GM dealer who said change other sensor, then familiar hum of pump priming

Plan on that if I can locate p/n. Every time I put Delco with 2 spades, the p/n say does not fit. Doing search on Amazon, Autozone, Advanced Auto, and O’Reilly’s.

what year and engine is your blazer?

The one I’m trying to get out is beside the oil filter, this is the only one I know of

Which engine does this Blazer have?