Offroad Tire Advice

I started seeing Ironman tires around the 2016ish mark (IIRC) and they were very popular with the large diameter lowpro tire guys that didn’t want to pay $300 for a tire… The Ironman was a very inexpensive tire for the lower budget people… I was never impressed with them but sold a few and saw a few more, I never heard any real complaints about them but never wanted them either… lol
I also have no idea how long they last as most got damaged by our wonderful potholes and needing replacement… Yeah, funny how 22/24" wheels with 30/35 series tires don’t hold up very well to potholes…

Jobber cost on a 265/35R22XL 102V IRON IMOVE GEN2 SUV (Ironman) is only $110.59 and has a 420AA UTQG as an example… Next cheapest tire is a Nexen for $156.96… Again those are jobber cost and not retail prices…

fair enough I agree. I will stay away from the Ironman. What about the Hercules Terra Trac X-Venture? Also, I had a friend recommend the Falken Wildpeak A/T3W they seem good and non-budget.

I have never delt with either of those tires, so I don’t know if they are the worlds best or worst tires… lol

But I did deal with Falken passenger tires years ago and never had a complaint on them except that they wore out at about 1/2 mileage… They always handled good, had a great ride comfort, but the 60K mileage tires had to be replaced at 30k miles and the 40K mileage tires had to be replaced at 20K miles… Did a ton of mileage prorating them out… We stopped selling them after the company figured out the trend… I never pushed them BTW…
Again years ago (around10-15 years ago) and only the passenger car tires… And nothing to do with the ones you are asking about…

I am not going to recommend a tire, but from my experience (abet as limited as it is with my 2001 Dodge Ram 2500…) I would say it is safe to say that the better a tire is on dirt, mud, gravel, etc… the noisier it will be, the least gas efficient it will be, and the sooner it will wear out.

It really comes down to how much tire noise are you willing to tolerate, how much gas mileage are you willing to sacrifice, and how soon you want to be doing this again when those tires wear out…

As the Holy Grail Knight said to Indiana Jones in the movie, “Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (1989)”,

“Choose Wisely…”

1 Like

Hercules and Ironman tires are a division of Cooper tire, some tires are manufactured in the USA.

Those are not premium tires however we began installing Ironman tires on some of our used cars about 8 years ago.

1 Like