Obd-ii

I posted a question a while back about my OBD-II for a 2004 Chevy silverado 1500 . Several code readers did not work , it turns out that the OBD was on the same fues as the cigarette lighter . Changed the fues that was blown and my OBD works , now I can take my truck in for emissions test .

It seems odd that the the socket would be wired this way, but thanks for the tip.

Nice. Saving money is good.

Good knowledge. Nice work. Sincere thanks for passing the tip on. I’m certain it’ll get used somewhere along the line.

I wonder if the OBD-II system is disabled (no CEL) if the lighter fuse is pulled…Under certain circumstances, (used car lots) that could be very handy…

Disabling the OBD systems on your used cars?
Go straight to jail. Do not pass go. Do not collect $200.

Nobody is in jail…

…yet

It makes sense since some memory savers plug into that outlet. Nice piece of knowledge for future reference.

The ODB-II port is powered. My Ford Explorer also uses the cigarette lighter fuse to protect the ODB-II port. Many code readers use this power. But, removing the fuse does not turn off the ODB-II system. Just kills power to the port. The CEL and ECM still work as normal.

Some other cars have a dedicated fuse for the ODB-II port.

I agree with BustedKnuckles, the OBD Datalink connector and the cigarette lighter are on the same fuse on my 2000 Blazer. The BCM and ECM are on a different fuse.

Ed B.

When we program keys to a FORD, we some times find out scan tool will not power up from the port. Our cable has an external 12V plug for use with a jump-box. This eliminates our having to trace down a fusible link or fuse or other power issue, particularly in the field.

Everyone, make sure you have a pack of fuses, a couple each of the ones YOUR vehicle uses. Can save hassles on a weekend.

Jeff

“Everyone, make sure you have a pack of fuses, a couple each of the ones YOUR vehicle uses. Can save hassles on a weekend.”

All my cars have spare fuses in the fuse boxes.