New truck, please with these options?

I used to be a bigtime truck guy. Man needs a truck to haul “stuff”, that sort of thing, even though I rarely had any “stuff” to haul.

I’m not questioning your desire for a truck; to each his own, I say. But are you going to be hauling gravel in your truck every day?

Since I’ve not had a truck, I’ve discovered the miracle that is Paying for Delivery. You’re likely going to pay a premium for the truck you want with the ability to haul a load of gravel…infrequently. Why not get a smaller, more reasonable truck, and pay the $50-100 or whatever delivery fee to have the gravel brought to you? All things being equal, it makes far more sense. Good luck.

2 Likes

Just my two cents again, but for hauling gravel, I sure like a trailer a lot better than the truck bed. Shoveling gravel out of a trailer into a wheel barrow requires far less effort because it is lower to the ground. Hardly any lifting at all, just push the shovel in and move it over to the barrow. Of course you still need something to pull the trailer.

A wise man you are.
Gravel to maintain driveway … ~1-2 yds every 3-4 years
Mulch for landscape … ~1-2 yds every other year
Once had major driveway facelift, so min 5 yds order + delivery fee was ideal except moving it around (no tractor), even if they agreed to dump several piles down the drive
Usually, they prefer to dump 5-10yds in one spot, which WOULD make the truck moot except for hauling trash weekly. Convertible not suitable, even groceries pack in tight, while truck makes that trip easier.

Thanks - food for thought that maybe too many vehicles, pampered by truck that’s really moot but would be sorely missed. Am trying to sell wife on idea that $34-42k for Canyon - Ridgeline saved would repair the 2001 & 1999 for many years. Hard sell as they approach 80k miles in 3 years or less.

Trucks with under 100,000 miles should have many years left in them. If they are running well now, why do you think they need to be replaced? If you just want a new truck, your idea about keeping one of the older trucks makes sense. Just use it for heavy hauling. My neighbor has an old generation Ridgeline and likes it a lot.