New brake pads and rotor weird sound

Hello everyone.

I recently changed all four rotors and brake pads using OEM parts on the Lexus IS But I noticed now that when I’m almost coming to a full stop, the brake would make a sound. The sound doesn’t sound like a squeak; instead, it feels like a gentle rub on a curb. Or better put — a sticky feeling and noise.

I’m wondering if this is due to the new pads and the issue will soon disappear ? Any thoughts?

Thank you.

As long as the ABS light doesn’t flash when this happens, then it most likely will go away.

No flashes of light happens.

Did you go through the break in procedure to burn the new pads in?

[quote=“bing, post:4, topic:190113, full:true”]
Did you go through the break in procedure to burn the new pads in?
[/quote)

They were just installed 2 days ago.

I think they might want to work themselves in like you said.

Did you have a shop do this work ? If so then call them Monday and ask them this question.

No there is a specific procedure done when you pull out of the garage to heat them up, cool them off, etc. to seat the pads and burn the resins. You don’t just drive normally.

Most likely the brake pads need to seat properly. the new brake pads might be made of a different composition of material vs the last set. so, it might feel slightly different for a while. As far as the rubbing noise, you can check to see if the brake dust shield is slightly rubbing on the rotor.

The customers don’t drive the vehicles out of the shop, the road test is performed by the technician.

Brake pad growl at low speed is a common complaint, it doesn’t indicate a problem.

2 Likes

We don’t know if the op did the work or had it done though. I’ve never had a growl or squeal but I use the anti squeal paste.

1 Like

Was done at the dealer.

There was a discussion about having the Toyota dealer order Lexus brake parts for the repair.

1 Like

Correct. Toyota ordered the OEM parts directly from Lexus and installed them. The price was horrendous but I’ll try finding a trusted independent shop from now on. It’ll be a challenge to find one but I got to try.

I doubt the sound is an indication of any problem. The pads and rotor surfaces haven’t yet worn together (bedded in) enough to match up perfectly is all. When I install new pads I usually rub small circular scratches on the pad surfaces with 160 grit sandpaper, then I rub similar scratches on the rotors, but radially oriented. Seems to help with this problem.

Ah now I remember. Came in a Toyota/Lexus box.

Just want to update this discussion. The problem has resolved itself. I no longer am feeling the sticky feeling or hearing the growling of the pads.

Thank you very much for the reassurance.

2 Likes