Horrifying but cosmetic brake noise... which pads to go with?

I have a 2006 Lexus is350 that has the rather terrible high metallic oem brake pads. The rotors and pads are in great condition, however they produce the most horrific ear piercing screech that can be heard for miles and I’ve even had people get out of their cars at stop lights to tell me my brakes are really bad. Like I didn’t know… So, I’ve been researching replacement parts while I suck up the fact that I’m probably going to be dropping hundreds of dollars on a cosmetic issue, but it’s really so terrible I think I may have to break up with my car if I don’t fix it soon. I’ve pretty much decided on not skimping, because from all that I’ve read it seems that given the known issues with the IS line’s brakes they really need high quality ceramic and low dust pads. I’ve been reading a lot of good things about ebc redstuff pads, as well as some good things about akebono premium pads. Would anyone be able to steer me in a clearer direction? I also am really confused about what to look for in a rotor. Lastly, should I do the replacement myself? I’m kind of a novice at diy car repair, in my old (86) volvo I did most of the maintenance and repair myself, but I never had to do brakes or any of the other big things. Just littler things like power steering fluid reservoir, throttle hose, water pump and a few other things. Would I be in over my head replacing my brakes myself? They are just so vital it freaks me out a little bit if I don’t do it right things will go terribly for me…

The Akebono are great pads. I’ve had good luck with the Duralast Gold Cmax brake pads from Autozone. These are the ones for your vehicle Part Number: DGC1118

Warranty: Limited Lifetime

Notes: Ultra Quiet with patented nitrile rubber shim. Disc hardware included.

Try Wagner or Bremo. Both make EXCELLENT pads and have been around for decades. They even are OEM providers.

If Porterfield makes the R4S compound for your vehicle, they’re an incredibly good pad. Quiet, long lasting, and very good at stopping the car.

Wagner Thermoquite ceramic OEM pads are excellent pads. Be sure to ask for the ceramic OEM as the Thermoquite is available in both the OEM compound and Ceramic OEM which is a ceramic pad that matches the characteristics of the OEM pad except they last longer.

You can keep the current pads if you like, just have the backsides coated with a disc quiet compound and reinstalled. If you just had these installed, the place that did the install should do this for free.

I’ve quieted (somewhat) squeaky disc brakes by lightly sanding the discs themselves with some 120 and/or 160 grit AL-oxide sandpaper to remove any glazing. In a radial direction, from the rim towards the hub is what I do. And just lightly. I can’t say one way or another how this affects stopping distance, but it does seem to help with squeaking and squealing noises.

I expect you’ll get better and safer results by switching to other pads, as mentioned above.