Name that hose clamp (and other things)

You can’t use a hose clamp on an automotive hydraulic system. The pressure that’s developed would blow the hose off

You must use flare fittings at all hydraulic line connections.

Tester

I believe JR is working with a plastic reservoir, don’t over tighten the screw clamp.

The worm gear clamps work with all low and medium pressure lines, including the brake reservoir line. The smooth surface clamps also work, but have less working diameter range. You just need to be careful and make sure the smooth surface clamps will work within the range of hose diameter you are working with, and not bottom out before reaching proper tension. It just needs to be snug to work. the rubber inside of the hose creates the seal.

Gee they look pretty cheap to me. At Fastenal they’re about 40 cents and $40 for the tool. That’s not exactly pricey. Maybe it just comes across worse in writing but when someone says “so we are done” when being given free research and advice, it comes across as a little arrogant.

These people have been having some success using these:

As mentioned, you can’t use any kind of clamp on a high-pressure hydraulic fitting. But I’m assuming that the fitting you need to clamp already had an Oetiker or similar kind of clamp, so it must not be high pressure.

I found a Kobalt “pincer plier” at Lowe’s for about ten beans … will that work, or will it cut the clamp instead?.. I can’t tell if the proper Oetiker pliers have sharp blades…

link:

@Nevada_545 yes, plastic brake fluid reservoir.

look like cutters.

Like I said, just a plug for Fastenal. They are a great company and the prices are low. They even ordered me a 45 cent set screw once that I couldn’t find anywhere else. Had it the next day for a total of 45 cents.

@JuniorMint, those pliers from Lowes should work. They look almost dead-on in appearance to the pair of pliers I have that are made for clamp crimping.

The pliers from Lowes are probably meant for fence nail pulling but whatever works.

Why do you want to use those clamps? Screw clamps are much better IMO.

An alternative to the typical worm drive clamp is the same design but for fuel injected applications. They do not cut into the hose.

You can probably use cutters if you’re careful with them–since the jaws will not actually meet, nothing will be cut, though you might damage the clamp if you use too much pressure or don’t pad the jaws with something.

bumped because a new clue came to light - see original posting.

also I got the Harbor Freight “end nippers”. they will grab - might have to grind the blades down to work safely. actually discovered that some GM CV boots call for a special pinch clamp plier as well as my Porsche (maybe). more info on that if I get around to researching it.

bump to show a new piece of info: a video of the usage of the pliers under discussion - at about 4:34, the cue isn’t working for some reason:

Those pliers are just like the ones I have; sans the red handles. Mine were purchased some decades ago from a Matco or MAC tools guy; forget which.

The boot clamp design that uses those pliers is also much more preferable as compared to the clamps that require the tool which rolls the band up around a pivot and is then nipped off with cutters.

The crimp on clamps are needed on CV boots and rack and pinion boots. They are preferable to screw clamps in quite a few applications. I don’t understand the controversy.

Those pliers you bought are called end nips. Used to cut in areas where a regular side cutter can’t reach.

Here’s the actual pliers used to tighten ear type clamps.

http://www.jcwhitney.com/cv-joint-boot-clamp-pliers/p2017920.jcwx

Tester