Fuel hoses and hose clamps

'87 Porsche 944 NA

I have collected some hose clamps and fuel hoses by now (yes, true rated fuel hoses), and have some questions, let me try the bare minimum here:

is there a rule that a larger wall thickness of fuel hose will require a larger band thickness of a hose clamp?

for example, in the original configuration from the factory, a fuel filler hose has a 4 mm wall thickness, and the matching hose clamp is 12 mm. BTW the clamp is a solid band of metal, not like the hose clamps from home depot with the holes in them and doesn’t have a slight curve on the edges. the fuel filler neck is no longer available new. The best substitute fuel filler hose has a 6 mm wall thickness. there are a number of hose clamps I have collected, but my lousy intuition says the one with the larger band thickness is the best choice for this.

I’ll post some of the relevant hose clamps if necessary.

Regardless of the wall thickness of the hose you wish to install the question is whether that hose is rated to carry gasoline. If the hose is actually a fuel hose and it fits the tank and fill port snugly and will fit properly under the car it will work. Use the screw type hose clamps to secure it.

@RodKnox I shall confirm if for gasoline - if it is for diesel, I figure that doesn’t mean anything for gasoline.

diesel and gasoline are interchangeable with regard to the hose being appropriate. Where did you buy the hose? If your hose is not correct NAPA and O’Reilly often stock the correct hose in bulk. Good luck finding a counterman familiar with the correct hose though.

“is there a rule that a larger wall thickness of fuel hose will require a larger band thickness of a hose clamp?”

Not that I’ve ever heard of. I’d use any good hose clamp you have that’s 12 mm + 2 mm wide.

@Rod Knox FYI I verified that the hose I got from fuel filler neck supply was indeed for gasoline.