My 05 Sierra doesn’t blow ANY air

My 05 GMC Sierra stopped blowing air all of the sudden. Whenever I switch it from cold to hot I can feel the difference in the vents, but no air blows out. Say I want to change it to hot air, I can feel some heat coming out of the vent and vice versa. I checked to see if it could be any fuses but no luck. Now I know it could be the blower motor, but I was wondering where else I should be checking.

I always start at the blower motor and check for power and work my way backwards, some may differ… lol
But even if you have power to the blower motor you still need to check the resistor and wires/plugs for both as some cases (in general) the blower motor will start to pull to many amps and melt the plug(s) at the motor and or resistor…
This should give you a better understanding of your blower motor system…

1 Like

Thanks for that info I will definitely look into it and go from there! (:

1 Like

Blend and airflow door actuators go bad on GM trucks… a lot! If you heard a faint click-click-click under the dash THAT is evidence of a broken actuator. Some are easy to reach, some are a pain.

4 Likes

Can you hear the fan running? Does the fan speed switch change the noise?

4 Likes

Blower motor resistor for under 30 bucks I would replace first unless it is easy enough to check voltage going to the blower motor.

1 Like

Set the blower speed to high.

Reach under the passenger side of the dash and with the handle of a scewdriver rap on the blower motor.

If the blower starts working, replace the blower motor.

Tester

3 Likes

a common failure on these is the mode door actuator- this makes the air blow out of the defrost vents by default. Verify that there is no air coming out of the defrost vents.

then move towards the blower motor, resistor, and wiring at the resistor.

1 Like

Check your Cabin Air Filter also, they can stop air flow…

1 Like

Now that I think about it I’ve been wondering for a while what that clicking sound was this just may be it!

1 Like

So the blower makes noise, but no air comes out?

The blend door nor the mode door won’t prevent the blower from blowing air.

The blend door controls if the air is hot or cold or anything in between, and the mode door controls where that air comes out.

Tester

1 Like

+1
You said My 05 Sierra doesn’t blow ANY air

Does it blow air or not???

Or is it just not blowing out the vent (defrost, dash vents, floor) of your choice??