Most ridiculous aftermarket add-ons

“That is trying to make a silk purse from a sows ear”

I always thought that the saying was, “You can’t make a silk purse out of a souse here”.

;-))

I’m sorry.
The Devil made me say that, along with the approach of 5:00PM…

Speaking of wiper blades . . .

Now I do remember those lime green and pink wiper blades

In fact, I also remember the “double wiper blade” setup . . . where each wiper arm had 2 wiper blades in parallel

^
And those double blades had a disturbing tendency to lead to burn-out of the wiper motor.
2 blades on that one arm lead to double the amount of friction that the wiper motor has to overcome, and I suspect that this is why you no longer see these gimmicky wipers.

united statesians?

come on @keith. can t I call myself American anymore?

that’s political, but it s not correct.

…said wes, before the thread was appropriately closed.

political correctness deserves its own thread anyway. we shouldn t have to sneak it in

Those wiper blades were still somewhat popular in the early 90’s from my memories. Just saw another Smart Car with a set of truck nuts hanging from the rear bumper.

There is a company that apparently is still around that started offering kits to rebody S10 Blazer 2dr’s up to 1993. Keeps the windshield/cowl and the front doors but everything else is changed for 1940’s roadster style bodywork. Looks even worse with the top up. http://www.rodster.com/

The wing-shaped “blades” on your dad’s wipers were actually a functional add-on. Windshield wipers can lift and chatter at highway speeds due to the high pressure boundary layer of air sliding up the windshield. Those little blades help keep the rubber against the glass at speed. Modern blades, the ones that use one single flexible arm, are designed to be less subject to that problem, but they can chatter too. I use wiper blades shorter than the OEM blades to counter this effect. I use a 26" blade on the left in stead of the OEM 28" blade and a 16" blade on the right instead of the OEM 17" blade. It helps big-time.

The neon color… well, what can one say, it was the '80s!

Huh, from a Chev to a Ford. I kinda like the delivery model but I think they got the front end right but the rear is somehow just not quite there.

Hubcaps…The Ben-Hur Collection:

I saw a set of honest to goodness spinner rims yesterday; not the hubcaps. The car was parked at one of the grocery stores and the rims/tires were slightly wider than the fenders. Too bad the rims were attached to a late model Impala painted yellow.

My 1965 Dodge Dart GT had those optional “Ben Hur” spinners on the wheel disks. The were part of the “DeLuxe” trim package. Completely fake, but very fasionable then.

Oh My!

LOL, cool!

And for the motorcyclists among us…

As seen recently on “What’s in the Barn” http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roadog

I remember seeing a TV segment on the Roadog and its maker many years ago. I’d forgotten about that one.

The Roaddog episode was on here last night. Interesting bike, but really ugly to me.

Butt-ugly, but cool at the same time.

How’s this for a ridiculous aftermarket accessory:

Yesterday, in the parking lot of a decidedly upscale store, I parked next to a totally rotted-out Chevy pickup that appeared to be from the early '90s.
What type of accessory had been added to this vehicle?
A Club anti-theft device!

Somehow the owners of the adjacent Audis, BMWs, and one Tesla seemed to be less concerned with theft than the owner of this near-worthless rolling wreck.

Hey, it was there when he stole the truck…