Marie's Leaky Audi TT

You could approach this a different way and treat it as a lemon law qualified safety issue. You would have all sorts of legal backing and pressure to apply to get it fixed. Consider this: Heavy rains have caused surface flooding with large puddles and standing water. You are driving along when another car or truck hits one of those large puddles and just completely buries your car in a wave of water. Surely you’ve had that happen before or seen it happen to someone? You have enough trouble seeing out of the windshield until the wipers can catch up so you are already a hair away from a crash when that happens. Now imagine trying to maintain control of the vehicle while you also get sprayed right in the face and interior of the windshield, blinding you for longer than it takes to run off the road or cross the center line. You and those around you are all in danger. They need to fix this as a critical safety issue or give you a brand new car, it’s the law in most states. Simply do not let them brush it off as a nuisance that just makes you drive a dirty car. Make sure they understand it’s more important than that and they are making you drive an UNSAFE car. That should change their tune. Good luck!!

Thanks to all of you who have offered ideas, suggestions, and humor. The field engineer is going to look at the car on Jan 28th. If this thread is still here, I will post and let you all know what happens.

It is obvious that I am not the only one who has had this problem with an Audi. I think the TT’s are all manufactured alike; perhaps the determining factor is just where the side jets in a particular car wash happen to hit the window?

Holy Cow - you all are making me glad I drive a $20,000 Pontiac Vibe - completely dry and treated grandly by the dealer’s service department.

Yes, but to compensate for being dry and happy with your dealer, you have to drive a Vibe - the world’s ugliest car…

Right church, wrong pew. The world’s ugliest car was the Pontiac Aztec. Every time that I see one on the road (maybe four times a year since very few people actually bought one of these rolling abortions) all I can say is…What was GM thinking? Or were they thinking at all?

The Vibe may not be the most beautiful car, but most people would consider it to be very far from ugly. And, of course, since the Vibe is a Toyota design through and through, it is exceptionally reliable. That cannot be said for the…ugh…Aztec.

I wonder. Is that a convertible with a hard top added? That could explain a lot. I had one on my Miata, It looked just like a hardtop. While I never had any problems, I can see how they would be possible.

Marie! Where are you? I’m dying to know if they found the problem.

Well here it is… May 2008 and not an entry from Marie. The Audi people must have figured out that there was no way to fix the problem and they were getting too much bad press. So the question is: what became of Marie? Any guesses?

Mine: They sent an attorney, not an engineer, and he threatened to sue her if she didn’t shut her yap. (Or did they paid her?)

Anyone else?

PS: I stand by my theory of hot women and audis. See picts.

Having owned an Mk1 TT it seems there are as many useless idiots who own them as there are repeated problems with them.

But I digress.

Marie,

Step 1:
Open your doors and pop off the weather seals that the window touches, there should be 3 of them.
Clean them thoroughly, soak them in oil for a few hours, (olive oil works well) and pop them back on.

Step 2: Make sure all the rubber seals around your window door sill (where your window touches the door) are clean and in proper working condition.

Reset your door locks.

When the windows are working properly, they will drop down 1/8th" when the door is open. If they do not do that, check your Comfort Control Module, they were a common fail point on the mK1 TT’s.

Didn’t they discontinue that car and Pontiac go out of business…

MG, you have replied to a 12 year old thread so I doubt if Marie even still has the vehicle. Look at the right side of the screen and you will see when the thread stated and the last post.

Actually, MG was replying to Van 1951, who posted this, in January, 2008:

Anyway… In regard to MG’s post…

Actually, the Pontiac Division of General Motors ceased operations, so technically it would not be correct to say that Pontiac went out of business. It was simply a case of GM reducing the number of essentially identical models. Additionally, the Pontiac Vibe was a re-badged version of a Toyota Matrix, which means that it was the most reliable vehicle ever produced with a GM badge on it. Because of its Toyota provenance, it can be serviced–with ease–by a Toyota dealership or by an indy mechanic, and parts are readily available.

MG actually replied to Marie and Van . I just wonder how people stumble onto these old threads , bother to log on and leave a post then disappear into cyber space.

Yes, you are correct!

… in order to provide advice regarding cars that were probably discarded/traded-in/sold LONG ago.
:thinking:

I think we might have fewer old threads show up if the date was shown as, say, “June 2011” instead of “June '11”, which looks a lot like “June 11”. @cdaquila - Carolyn, any way to change that?

1 Like

Morning, @texases. I just went and looked on the back end, but there’s no way that I have to change the display year on old posts, which means it’s built in to the Discourse system. Changing it would require asking for a customization, and that isn’t workable right now for something this small.

OK, I understand.

I don’t know who YOU are but there are a LOT of people who still drive MK1 Audi TT’s. I belong to a worldwide club with at least 1000 members on the east coast. All MK1 TT owners.

All wrench-heads too.

And the TT was intricately issue-prone and there’s a lot of stupid people who just went to the dealer and the dealer made up some utter BS and now those people spout that nonsense as facts.