Lift Gate on a 2000 Ford Explorer Limited

The Lift gate is locked and I cant unlock it with the key, keyless entry, or the internal release in the rear. Also I cannot open the rear window. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to get it open without destroying the interior lift gate panel. The dealer is estimate is over $600 including replacing the panel.

No idea without vehicle in hand, but considering that kind of money and destruction of the panel, I would visit a locksmith first. Some of those guys are pretty sharp on this stuff and may be able to pick their way in.

The worst they can do is say they can’t help.

There’s always the possibility that if they had to they could drill the lock assembly out and then attempt to open the hatch.
This would mean replacement of the lock and either using a different key or having the new lock re-keyed to match, but it should still be a whale of a lot cheaper than the price you’ve been quoted.

by any chance have you gotten into a collision lately??? especially since this problem showed up.

more info is needed.

what was wrong? have you taken it to another shop for another estimate?

believe it or not, i had a hard time with my old van lift gate, and after getting ridiculous estimates, i was (in frustration) leaning on the lift gate, and my wife coincidentally hit the unlock button, and viola… the gate unlatched. the round bumpers were out of adjustment. by me leaning on the gate it releived the pressure on the latch mechanism so it could unlatch.

is your trunk and window making ANY noise when you click it? (like clicking)

have you checked the fuses? try switching fuses to ensure that the latches are getting power.

when getting help, try leaning on, or (gently) pushing in on the glass to releive the pressure on the locks. using the key, while pushing in, see if that helps get the doors open.

by any chance have you gotten into a collision lately??? especially since this problem showed up.

more info is needed.

what was wrong? have you taken it to another shop for another estimate?

believe it or not, i had a hard time with my old van lift gate, and after getting ridiculous estimates, i was (in frustration) leaning on the lift gate, and my wife coincidentally hit the unlock button, and viola… the gate unlatched. the round bumpers were out of adjustment. by me leaning on the gate it releived the pressure on the latch mechanism so it could unlatch.

is your trunk and window making ANY noise when you click it? (like clicking)

have you checked the fuses? try switching fuses to ensure that the latches are getting power.

when getting help, try leaning on, or (gently) pushing in on the glass to releive the pressure on the locks. using the key, while pushing in, see if that helps get the doors open.

Thanks for your interest. The fuse is ok and there is a clicking noise. I have tried pushushing and pulling as I turn the key and/or activitating the electronic key. The electronic key gets no response . the Internalm release in the cargo compartment initiates a clicking noise. All the other doors unlock with the the electronic key. Is there any, I guess I’m trying to find out if there is a procedure to get it open without destroying the Interior panel. I will probably take it to a lock smith and see if they have any ideas. Thanks again for your help.