Lexus Headlights

I need to replace driver side headlight assembly on my 2004 Lexus RX330. It has HID xenon bulbs but without the AFS. Now, my problem is, my RX 330 is a Canadian built mode and the price for this assembly is $1084.15. I came to found out the same part for 2004 RX 330 Japanese built model is $423.00 and the guys at the dealership told me these part are not interchangeable. How is this possible? Since they are the same model year, same specs but built in difference countries. The parts look exactly alike but they claim the part built for the Japanese model will not fit the Canadian model. Is this true or it’s just a way of making money by making consumers stick to what they want consumers to buy?
Canadian part number is 81150-0E020
Japanese part number is 81185-48210

A dealer will ALWAYS say that.

I’m not sure if they are 100% the same. They may be or may not be. But I’ve bought aftermarket lights that way. The last light (tail light) I bought was from a on-line parts supplier. The tail light assembly I bought on-line was built by the same company as the one OEM one I took off at 1/3rd the cost.

Entirely possible. It’s not unusual for Japan-model cars to have different headlights than other countries. For one thing, your country’s regulations on required equipment specifications are different than those of other countries. For another, styling comes into account.

As an example, here’s a 3rd-generation Honda/Acura Integra, US-market spec:

Here’s a 3rd generation Honda Integra, Japanese market spec:

They look exactly the same. Also, these two models are for the US markets.

If you can reuse the hardware and only need the plastic housing service bulletin L-SB-0008-10 provides part numers for the housing for north american and japan built RX330, RX350 and RX400h vehicles.

HID Unit, Headlamp, LH 09/2003 - 09/2004 81185-48210

Web search L-SB-0008-10 for more information.

This information is very helpful Nevada. Thank you very much

One has round projector headlights. The other has rectangular headlights. The wheels are different, and the JDM one has the steering wheel on the wrong right side of the car.

As they drive on the other side of the road in Japan, it’s possible that the headlights are physically different in order to allow the proper aim there.

Left hand drive Lexus RX vehicles sold in north america have six different headlamp assemblies for each side, three for vehicle assembled in Canada three for vehicles assembled in Japan; Hologen, HID, HID w/AFS.
I can’t tell you the difference between the Japan and North American assembled lamps but they are built for the North American market.

Hi Nevada_545,
From the Service Bulletin you sent earlier, it seems the Japanese part is in fact a fix for the Canadian part as a result of condensation issues. Thank you. You have been very helpful

Make sure that you can return the Japanese version if ti does not work for you. All you are doing is fitting it and making sure the lights work. It seems to me that you should be able to return it if it doesn’t fit, doesn’t light up, or doesn’t work for some other reason.