Late model cars and moon roofs

Why are there so few late models of cars without sun/moon roofs? Is this a safety concern, or is the manufacture too expensive?

Slightly confused about your question/comment.
The first question seems to ask why many models have moonroof as standard equipment but the second question presents arguments against moonroofs. Note I’m using moonroof to include the term sunroof.
As far as safety, IMHO, kind of a tie. Super rare, but the glass can be shatter, on the other hand, can be an additional escape route.
Cost is passed on to the consumer.
Example: You happened to have used Mazda 6 in your title. The base trim level, “Sport” does not come standard with a moonroof, nor is it an option. To get the moonroof you have to move up to the “Touring” trim, $2600 more (MSRP).

Basically I wanted to know what new sedan models of ANY brand featured sun or moon roofs. The e-mail required that I list a specific car, so I chose the Mazda 6, which is of interest to me. I am looking for a manual transmission sedan vehicle with front-wheel (or possible AWD) that has a moon or sun roof. Any suggestions below $50,000?

Thanks!

Kathleen Dombrink

On many–perhaps most–cars nowadays, a moonroof is part of an options package. Or, to put it in other terms, a moonroof is not usually available as a stand-alone option.

On my last two cars, even though I didn’t want a moonroof, I had to accept one if I wanted the other features of that options package.

The OP needs to surf the “build your own” feature of car manufacturers’ websites in order to see which cars can be optioned with a moonroof, and which other features–that she may or may not want–are bundled with that options package.

That is just actually why almost all manufactures have a build it yourself feature on their web sites . You can see what trim levels have what features and prices.

You’ll have problems finding new cars on the dealer’s lot WITHOUT sunroofs. They’re either standard, or added on with just the least amount of options.

This is a problem for me, sunroofs eat up headroom, and I need lots of headroom.

Honda has no options, just changes in trim level. The EX and higher levels have moon roofs. GM cars offer the moon roof as an option, but only on higher trim level cars. It depends on the manufacturer.

Did anyone read Kathleens’ reply?
She wants a sedan WITH a sunroof AND a manual transmission , up to $50,000.

I agree the sun roofs are pretty standard at least for the cars we buy, but I don’t think you will get both a manual transmission which is bare bones, and rare, and also a sun roof in the same package. You can always buy the bare bones manual or maybe BMW will offer it, and then have an after-market sun roof put in. Of course they tend to leak so maybe just forget the manual transmission that will be hard to sell again anyway.

I think you meant to type “with sun/moon roofs”, right? I’ve always thought Audi and VW did the “hole in the roof thing” well. I believe the Audi A5 Coupe has both 6 speed manual transmission and sunroof options, and is likely meeting your pricing limit, suggest to put that on your list for a look-see.

?? I’d be surprised if more than a few $30,000+ cars come without a sunroof.

Our 2017rav4 has one.

I wanted a 2010 Kia Forte SX. Color- Titanium- 6 speed M/T. The dealership found one but it had a moon/sunroof which I did not want. They were willing to “eat” the $800 cost so I said OK. In almost 9 years I have opened it 3 times. I don’t understand why it is so important to OP. But hey! different strokes for different folks.

My old VW Rabbit had a sun roof, and it was quite a pleasant thing to use while driving about town in the summer. It was a little too noisy for comfort at freeway speeds though.

This is going to be a tough combination depending on the size of sedan you want. There are a couple of 2017 Chevy SS manuals with sunroof on the used market (on carguru’s) or brand new you could choose from:

VW Jetta GLI Autobahn
Subaru WRX
Honda Civic SI
Bmw 320i (2018 stickered at $45,590 at Hendrick BMW)

Even when a manual is offered it’s on the sport or basic trim level that doesn’t include the sunroof (Mazda6, Honda Accord)

Yup!
I have had my 2011 Outback 3.6R Limited since October of 2010, and I have probably opened the moonroof no more than 5 times.

The consumer can buy what’s available, or not. His or her choice.

Wishing and hoping for the desired options to be available without the options one does not want is likely not going to be a successful strategy.

The VW Jetta GLI Autobahn can have both a sunroof and manual transmission. The base price is under $30,000. The Kia Stinger has 4 doors, a sunroof, but only an auto transmission. The Honda Civic Type R has 4 doors, a manual transmission, but no sunroof. You should stick to European sedans. Traditional Asian or US brands are unlikely to have what you want. If you are willing to bend a little, the Type R and Stinger are very good choices.

… as long as the OP is willing to accept the reduced reliability and the increased repair costs that go along with buying a European car.

1 Like

I had a sun roof on my 59 VW. The Rolls salesman I bought it from said it used to belong to an architect and he’d haul 2X4s with the roof open. It was kinda nice though on a warm summer night on a date, opening up the roof and watching the stars. I agree though the only one that opens our is my wife and not very often.