Kia Sedona - Stops accelerating while in cruise control

Scary situation, going down the highway about 70 mph using the cruse control, then suddenly it was as if you let off the gas pedal completely. I turn the cruise control off and press the gas, the car stayed at about 1500 rpm even with the gas pressed all the way. I pulled over, still in drive, it crept as if you let off of the breaks but still would not go above 1500 or accelerate at all. I shifted it into park, reverse, neutral, and back to drive, pressing the gas at each, same thing nothing above 1500 rpm. I turned the car off waited a minute and started again, drove like nothing ever happened.

My three part question is, will this happen again, what is the likely cause of this, and how much should it cost to fix?

Thank you in advance!

If the car is still under warranty visit your Kia dealer ASAP.
Here is a case similar to yours and what the dealer did to fix it

The contact owns a 2012 Kia Sedona. The contact stated while driving approximately 60 mph the vehicle lost acceleration independently and the speed would not increase to 30 mph when the pedal was engaged. The failure occurred twice over a period of a year. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who diagnosed that the sensor for the throttle needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The contact also stated that the odometer reading was incorrect. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 42,000.