Kia products

For 3 of the 5 years of production, they sold over 27,000. That is a low production number, but more than I would suspect given how it looks. Bob Lutz called it utilitarian. I suppose that some people buy for function and don’t care about form, about 120,000 by the time they were all sold.

But, the fact remains that these AWD vehicles probably had less ground clearance than any other AWD vehicle that I can recall. In the most critical area for road clearance–namely the center of the vehicle–there are cross-members for the rear suspension that afford less than 5 inches of ground clearance.

If somebody was seeking the most-easily high-centered AWD vehicle, both the Aztek and its Buick clone would have been the natural choice. What kind of design is that?

You forgot the WRX. 4.9in. :wink:

True, but the WRX is designed for great handling, as well as being fast, and is not intended for off-road use.
If we want to veer into that territory, I guess that we could include the Bugatti Veyron also, as it is an AWD vehicle and it undoubtedly has even less ground clearance than a WRX.

On the other hand, those two discontinued GM AWD vehicles had pretentions of being off-roaders, and as a result of their very poor ground clearance, they were not at all suited for that type of use.

My neighbors had a Buick Rendezvous, and they drove off road all the time: in their driveway going to the garage. :grinning:

I can’t imagine anyone driving off road in an Aztek or Rendezvous.

…and yet, the ad campaign for that bizarre Aztek featured photos such as this…
https://tse2.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.Y7KXk_lNSdv30ulHeE5_NAEsC7&w=294&h=183&c=7&qlt=90&o=4&dpr=1.75&pid=1.7

How would one get to that camp site if he wasn’t driving off-road?

See, the highway is about 10 feet above that picture. The Aztek took the corner too fast and rolled down the hill, which explains why it looks so lumpy and misshapen. :wink:

3 Likes

I second the motion made by Mr. Mountainbike.

2 Likes

Agree, where did the report or spam or whatever go?

For real? You’re offended because the Ford F-150 came in #4 on CarTalk’s survey of “cars most driven by lesbians”? Seriously? Gosh, I hope you don’t read CarTalk’s actual article then, you’d probably have a meltdown.

2 Likes

Click on the … next to the link button and it expands to show the report flag

All I get is you’ve read this post click to bookmark it on …
Ok different browser shows ‘privately flag this post for attention or send a private notification about it’

See Edit please

Gotcha, I was probably still uploading the pics when you edited :slight_smile:

Once you click on the three hash marks, you’ll see a flag icon. Click on that and it gives you the opportunity to flag the post as well as options as to the reason.

I flagged it as
“This post contains content that a reasonable person would consider offensive, abusive, or a violation of our community guidelines.”

Multiple flags will get the post removed by the moderator.

He figured it out, see his edited post :slight_smile: I’m assuming we have enough flags for @cdaquila to chime in soon…

Yet that letter he posted is on the real cartalk website

So who’s more offensive . . . ?

elgreen99, because he referenced that letter?

cartalk itself, because it had that article in the first place?

I just checked, and over the years, cartalk has had several such letters and columns on the aforementioned subject matter. Some of it appears to be quite matter-of-fact and non-judgemental. But everybody will have to read the stuff on their own time and reach their own conclusions, should they choose to do so

Perhaps somebody will judge ME because I chose to pose some questions, instead of condemning somebody :fearful:

3 Likes

Yeah, I’m not sure what is so offensive about this either. Marketing demographics are not stereotypes, and they’re not judgmental. If it’s true that lesbians buy a lot of pickup trucks, that would be a matter of fact, not opinion, and it would be in Ford’s interest to target lesbians with their advertising.

I once worked for a company that, through research, discovered their advertising dollars were best spent targeting middle age white heterosexual men. I take no more offense to this scenario than I did that scenario.

What would Lenny Bruce say?