Kia products

The recent Lexus grilles remind me of the 1961 Plymouth:

Youā€™re right! Perhaps in the top 5 ugliest cars ever made in the US.

1 Like

Yikes!
I hadnā€™t previously thought about it, but you are correct!

And, in another return to retro styling themes, we have the new-ish Pathfinders that have ā€œfinsā€ reminiscent of the early full-size Dodge Darts:

https://tse1.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.geHaEsfdjEcSziVwBFl0wAEsDH&pid=15.1

If you find a particular vehicle ā€œgirly,ā€ you should ask yourself, ā€œHow old am I and whom am I trying to impress?ā€

If the answer is, ā€œIā€™m an adult who only needs to impress myself,ā€ then buy the Kia.

If the answer is, ā€œIā€™m stuck in a teenage mindset, so I need to buy a car that impresses others,ā€ then you shouldnā€™t get the Kia.

4 Likes

Yā€™know, I never realizedā€¦ but youā€™re right!

@Propane_Car; Interesting observations. We had similar needs in 2015, I had already excluded the CRV due to previously owning a noisy one. The Mazda gets rave reviews but to me the rear seats were a big problem. I have long legs and the room behind me would had been tight and the rear seat does not recline a bit; too upright for long road trips with kids.

Anyway, we ended getting a used Hyundai Tucson, mostly because it saved us a lot of money over the new RAV4 (A used RAV would cost more than the new ones!). We are happy so far.

Yeaā€¦I donā€™t like the look either. The new Camry has the same look.

On this one, yes.

Lexus gave the LS460 a face lift 5 years ago, to the look that nobody likes;

I wouldnā€™t call that an improvement. Nightmare, that I could agree with. :wink:

1 Like

Thatā€™s the last Lexus design I liked. The current ones are dumb; Lexus calls it aggressive!!!

Classy. I like it.

Iā€™d consider to buy that first one, 2012 model I think, were I in the market for an upscale vehicle sized larger than my Corolla. And not overly worried about a budget. I expect is it very nice to drive and reliable and a pleasure to own. True, itā€™s a little on the boring side aesthetics wise, looks sort of like a Camry, but ballooned out a little all over to make it bigger; but I could live w/that. The newer one, thatā€™s not happening for me.

If enough people donā€™t like the gaping mouth, Iā€™m sure Toyota will change it. Given the proliferation throughout the Lexus line and infiltrating the Toyota line, Iā€™d guess that most buyers are at least willing to put up with it.

Agree! We just came back from shopping and my wife saw one in the Costco parking lot. Her remarks were barely printable, but asked what kind of a person with no taste would design such a thing and what product manager would let it be built.

Hey, GM sold a lot of ugly Azteks.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Iā€™ve seen many ugly cars that a lot of people liked. And Iā€™m sure Iā€™ve bought what I thought was a beautiful car that most people thought was ugly. Just the way it is and always will be.

I donā€™t mind the look of the new Lexus. Maybe theyā€™ll have redesigned the new Lexus when my wife needs a new one.

For most Lexus drivers I know, just the mere fact that it is a Lexus is enough. Two people I know would just lease a new RX every 3 years without test driving or cross shopping.

1 Like

Actually, Iā€™m not sure they sold that many of them

AFAIK, its production was ended early, versus its Buick corporate cousin, which was less ugly