Kia Door Lock

Driver’s door can’t be opened. This 2005 Kia Optima EX has power door locks. It does NOT have rods that you can manually pull up to open it or push down to lock it. There are two ways to lock on unlock all the doors…with rocker switch on the driver’s armrest or by pushing or pulling a small “button” located under the inside door latch to lock or unlock the door.

When the driver’s door gets stuck in the locked position I can hear the electric “actuator” inside the door panel as they lock or unlock the doors.

Using the “button” under the inside door handle doesn’t help but if I rock the rocker switch from lock to unlock while my wife pulls on the outside door handle the door will eventually come open.

The driver’s lock/unlock button is operating incorrectly. When the rocker switch is pressed down to open the door, the button moves all the way back but then moves about about an eighth of an inch forward. The right side door buttons don’t do this…they move all the way back or to the open door position and stay there.

So,

is the actuator in the door bad,

is the rocker switch bad, or

does= some electrical device, (a solenoid?) etc, bad that is not even located in the door?

All help would be appreciated !

Blessings,

Jon L. White,

Pastor

“When the driver’s door gets stuck in the locked position I can hear the electric ‘actuator’”

Since you hear the motor it’s probably a mechanical problem, not electrical.
The door panel will need to come off to sort this out.
Will the key unlock the door when it’s stuck?

“The driver’s lock/unlock button is operating incorrectly…”

Does it open the door sometimes or not at all?

It does NOT have rods that you can manually pull up to open it or push down to lock it.

This is not true, and you say so yourself.
pushing or pulling a small “button” located under the inside door latch to lock or unlock the door.

This “small button” is in fact a mechanical connection (via a rod or a cable) to the lock.

You have a mechanical problem to solve. Pull the door skin off and have a look at it.

I have never been able to unlock the door with the key.

The door does open if I rock the switch on the armrest while my wife pulls on the outside door handle. It usually take 5 or more tries to get the door to open.

I never thought of the “button” under the inside handle as a mechanical method to unlock the door. Kia just ran the rod horizotal to the button instead of vertical. Thanks for your knowledge.

I’ll try to take the skin off and see what’s going on.

Thanks! Jon