Honda door lock failure

I have a 2000 Honda CRV, driver side door lock actuator has failed. Door is shut and will not open. I have pulled back the door panel enough to see the actuator and touch it. How can I get the door open to replace the actuator?

Thanks
John

I’m assuming that the lock button, or whatever, can’t be pulled up, and simply opening the door with the handle from the inside doesn’t unlock it either. Odd… I hope you’re never in an accident that renders the battery unusable in your locked car.

If you can touch the actuator, can you touch the rod that actuates the lock mechanism with your hand or a screw driver and pop it up?

Is the door locked and won’t unlock, and the key or inside button won’t unlock it?
Or is the door unlocked and won’t unlatch?

Yes, the door will not unlock by any means. I can enter the car via the other 3 doors which still respond to key and electric switch. I can touch the actuator with a long tool but so far am unable to “pop” anything up.

The door is locked and won’t unlock.
When I turn the outside lock the with the key to the left it moves about a quarter turn, as it should and the doors all lock as they should (I can hear the electric hum). When I turn the key to the right, I hear the hum but the door does not unlock. It moves some but it is hard to tell if the key is turning to the right as much as it used to.
When I try the inside electric switch or knob the other doors respond (lock or unlock) but not the drivers. I hear a short electric hum after operating the switch.

You don’t have an electrical problem. Something mechanical in the door lock mechanism has broken, or come apart. A body shop, or Honda body shop, should be able to find a way to open the door. It might involve removing the drivers seat to have access and space to pull the interior door panel. Once inside this shouldn’t be too difficult to find the problem and repair it. The labor will be in getting the door open in the 1st place.

A locksmith might be able to figure it out, but if it were me I’d go see my favorite body shop and if they couldn’t handle it I’d head to a Honda dealers body shop. The Honda shop is most familiar with the inside workings of the lock and most likely to know some trick(s) to open the door.

I suspect someone tried to gain access to your car with a slim jim and in the process broke your locks. It has happened before, and will happen again.

Quote Uncle Turbo “I suspect someone tried to gain access to your car with a slim jim and in the process broke your locks. It has happened before, and will happen again.”

Excellent point. I had not thought of that.