Justice is served

Car Crushes Catalytic Converter Thief to Death in Anaheim (msn.com)

5 Likes

Instant Car-ma

2 Likes

I’ll hold my breath to see if the family sues the car owner for loss of companionship.

2 Likes

Serves him right.

2 Likes

Obviously we as a society have failed the thief…at least as the PC line of thinking goes.

Don’t care if he did get squashed like a June bug on a windshield; just hope he doesn’t have any kids who might suffer because of his idiocy.

3 Likes

He got what he deserved, as far as I’m concerned

Those guys just make life harder for the rest of us

I’m not sure exactly sure how the Prius fell on him . . . the only thing I can think of is that he might have been using some kind of a jack, but if he was, he wasn’t almost certainly wasn’t using a jack stand. Never rely solely on a jack . . . I guess they don’t teach that in thief school :smile_cat:

Or maybe he propped the car up with a piece of wood, as we’ve seen on the internet from time to time :fearful:

As for the kids . . . I’ve personally known a few people whose parent(s) had very little, if any, proper values, morals, etc., and sadly to say, it rubbed off on them, because they also had no concept of right or wrong

4 Likes

As for the kids . . . I’ve personally known a few people whose parent(s) had very little, if any, proper values, morals, etc., and sadly to say, it rubbed off on them, because they also had no concept of right or wrong.

Have to partly disagree I have known people who who have no redeeming values morals etc as you said but the kid’s turned out OK. but others don’t.

I feel that maybe he would have survived if the car was still on 4 tires. Not sure why he didn’t.

As far as Carma goes, I see that point of view, but I also wonder about the deeper issues of society that have gotten worse over time and leads to this criminal activity.

Is that really your idea of “justice,” the death penalty for petty theft?

I believe a human life is worth more than $250, and if he risked his life for so little, he must have been pretty desperate. If celebrating that makes you feel good about yourself, forgive me if I don’t understand.

It’s an interesting pun, but this isn’t how Karma works. Before Karma was bastardized by western civilization, twisting it into something as ugly as schadenfreude, it was a beautiful eastern concept closely related to reincarnation, where your actions in this life affect your next life, but it’s a reason to bring and share joy with others, not a reason to celebrate the misfortune of someone else.

2 Likes

The same thing was said about a guy here in OK some years ago who attempted to steal a truck in broad daylight out of someone’s driveway. The homeowner heard his truck start, ran outside with a sidearm, and the thief attempted to run him down with his own vehicle. The homeowner opened up on the guy and killed him. Justifiably so.

It was said by some that “He did not deserve to be killed for a simple vehicle theft”. I disagree. The homeowner rid the world of vermin who did not deserve to live.

Court records are online here so I did a search for the deceased. In the past 15 years that guy had 53 felony convictions. That is FELONY convictions; not plea bargains, misdemeanors, crimes he got away with, and so on.
Why wasn’t this guy locked up for life already I rhetorically ask…

Just a small sampling of that career criminal. Three protective orders from 3 different women; all violated, Car theft, burglary, armed robbery, drug dealing, assault and battery, breaking and entering, etc, etc, etc.
Not to mention 3 separate assaults on police officers; two of which involved deadly weapons.
Far as I’m concerned that guy should have ceased to breathe at the start of that 15 year crime spree.

As for the converter thief, he gets no sympathy from me. The phrase is that if one jumps the fence into the pasture and taunts the bull then one can expect to get gored. There are consequences to everything. The cat thief made a free will choice to jump the fence so he killed himself and I doubt that was his first rodeo doing this.

Desperate for money for necessary needs? Or like many of those around here; desperate for some quick drug money. Lot easier to heist a converter for cash than work for it.

5 Likes

Are you comparing a man who stole a vehicle to a man who tried to steal a catalytic converter, or are you comparing a man who tried to commit vehicular manslaughter to a man who tried to steal a catalytic converter?

In the first comparison, you look quite reasonable. In the second comparison, not so much.

I don’t regard an attempted murderer the same way I regard a petty thief.

I think the point is that some folks are a danger to society and the current system seems not able to protect society from them. Someone stealing cats likely is not going to stop there. What would you think of a person that breaks into a home and shoves a loaded gun into the stomach of a pregnant woman? Some wires not connected upstairs.

2 Likes

For a society that can’t protect the innocent from criminals, we sure do incarcerate a lot of criminals. If that’s not for the protection of the innocent, why are we doing it?

rate3

rate4

You and your slippery slope fallacies.

Logical-Fallacies-slippery-slope-620x384 (1)

2 Likes

I’m really not going to get into this again but obviously drugs has been and continues to be a big problem. If a person uses drugs “A”, they are more likely to commit crimes “Z”. The type of crime can change over time depending on desperation and other factors. So while A does not guarantee Z, there is pretty good evidence that drugs leads to other crimes. Who benefits from greater use of drugs, one might ask?

Please, let’s get back onto the topic of cars, somehow? I’m also am not sure this was really a car story, but a criminal justice story that had a special guest appearance by a car.

3 Likes

I’d like to point out my last post included motor vehicle theft statistics in one of the charts and the source where that chart came from.

(I knew you’d be watching.)

My chapter of the Union of Auto Parts Burglars, local 721, is opposed to EV vehicles because they don’t have catalytic converters.

7 Likes

I will bring this back to cars and respond to your slippery slope fallacy.

I know someone who stole a part of a car. He’s one of my oldest friends from back in my high school days in Dallas.

It was somewhere around 1993 or 1994 when he and I were living in the the Dallas/Fort Worth metroplex, me in DeSoto and he in Arlington. We were in our early 20s. I was living with my mother and attending junior college, while he was trying to make ends meet working restaurant jobs.

Money was tight. He and his girlfriend were renting an apartment with her two children. When her mustang needed a new alternator, he stole one from another Mustang that was parked in the same apartment complex. It looked like it had been sitting there for some time.

Since I’m still in touch with my friend, I can attest that this was not a gateway crime. It did not lead down a dark path of depravity and criminal activity. As far as I know, it’s the only time he’s stolen anything.

Maybe you (not you literally - the royal “you”) think my friend deserves to die for his crime. I think that is excessive, even if he wasn’t my friend.

4 Likes

At least they don’t make noise when you drive them off, as long as you drive slowly.

1 Like

The problem now is that incarceration is not high enough.Perfect example being the 53 times convicted felon I mentioned. At some point the cell door should be welded shut and the problem resolved once and for all.

I would bet if the 3 women that guy whaled on and the police officers whom he assaulted were polled I would safely bet they would all agree with welding the door rather than let it revolve.

Almost every time the local news does a crime story I do a check on the name mentioned and in almost every case that person has a 10, 20, or 40 year history of criminality. It reminds me of a tourist fishing pond. Catch the fish, release it, catch, release, catch, release; the same fish over and over. Pretty soon the fish expects to be caught but it’s not worried because it knows it will get tossed right back into the pool with no repercussions.

Some years ago a guy here had been arrested for auto theft something like 6 or 7 times along with other crimes; alwalys getting a slap on the wrist. I would reasonably guess the car owners who lost their vehicles in a chop shop were not happy with that guy constantly on the loose either. He was paying guys to cross the state line into KS, heist cars, and ferry them back to OK for tear downs.
The only thing that stopped him (eventually) was 60 years of age and death.