Is there a way to tell which pressure solenoid is for 1st-2nd?

I have saturn ion 2007 with code p1811 excessive pressure when shifting. Only happens in 1st-2nd gear.

I’ve never taken apart/dropped the trans pan, but from watching other vehicles getting it replaced on YouTube it seems like there’s a 1-2nd gear solenoid and 3-4th one as well. I do not have the car manual I’m wondering when I open it up if it’ll be marked or if there’s a way to tell.

Thank you!!

https://www.transmissionrepaircostguide.com/p1811/

Tester

Number 305 are the shift solenoids. It is a known problem that the top one has problems.

4T40-E Transmission - Teardown Inspection - YouTube

1 Like

Is that easily reachable once the bottom pan is dropped?

Or is it gonna be tight to get to the top and maybe stop and pick up a flexible extension for the sockets?

Here’s another video, nothing simple about it if you want to do it with the transmission in the car, looks like to me:
4T40E / 4T45E Pontiac G6 GM Chevy Transmission Shift Solenoid Replacement - Bing video

Start video around the 5-minute mark. once you remove the cover you should see them.

4T40E Teardown - YouTube

You are going to be very disappointed when you drop the bottom pan… The valve body with solenoids are behind the side cover…

3 Likes

Yeah I don’t have anything to yank the tranny out for full access.

Got a jack and few sockets, works great on my Honda and mostly the saturn expect this…

Did you watch the second video all the way through? Sounds like your tool set may not be enough.

1 Like

For this repair or any others, do not be under a vehicle with only the jack holding it up.

Thanks for coming to my Ted Talk. :rofl:

Oh let me tell you, my basic repair man style is working with just the highest quality harbor freight $60 jack you can find, with the $30 stands are you kidding me. Safety is key

One day I’ll have my own place with a lift in the garage and tool box full :joy: but until then where the hell is my 10mm

Yeah unfortunately, time to get robbed at the mechanics.

please make sure your Jack Stands are not the ones that were recalled:

https://www.schmidtandclark.com/harbor-freight-jack-stands-lawsuit

https://www.harborfreight.com/js-details

Hard to imagine how a bevy of unsafe jackstands could make it to the retail stores. You’d think a manufacturer making jack stands would test every 10th one (or so) that came off the ass’y line to verify they were meeting the stated load limit. I guess the ones they test they can’t sell, so that may have something to do with it.

wow i have 3-ton pittsburg 56371,

checked the article, man i was joking about the safety; but, i guess not a joke Jesus.

thanks for saving my car slamming into my skull at some point.

Harbor Freight Jack Stand #56371 - The 56371 Pittsburgh Automotive 3-ton heavy duty steel jack stands can be identified by looking at the item number found on the label at the top of the stand.

1 Like

They do, but those are the $100 each version versus the $60 a pair version…

Even so, an AQL sample size of 1:10 tested to failure would be fairly aggressive for most commercial products. The P i t t s b u r g brand is not known as a pillar of quality in the tool world…

1 Like