Transmission Control Solenoid

Where is the TCS located on a 2002 Chevy Monte Carlo SS 3.8? Is there only one? If you have paid to have this part replaced, what did you pay for labor?

The torque converter clutch solenoid is located behind the transmission case cover. So that has to be removed first.

There’s only one TCC solenoid.

Tester

On my Buick I think it was about 4 hours labor to get in there and replace the 4th gear solenoid which is in the same place. Seems to me it was $350-400.

Are the torque converter clutch solenoid, transmission control solenoid and pressure control solenoid the same thing?

There are four solenoids.

1-2 shift solenoid.

2-3 shift solenoid

Torque converter clutch solenoid.

Pressure control solenoid

The transmission cover has to be removed to gain access to the four solenoids.

Tester

I started a discussion about the pressure control solenoid on my '03 Park Avenue.

I was going to post a follow-up on that, but the discussion is closed. The solenoids are all under the side cover. Job is quite involved. My tranny shop has a set protocol for dealing with the GM transmissions that show up with hard shifting. They replace all the solenoids and the valve body for $450. Hard shifting is now gone. Definitely worth the money. Did not read a book like Bing suggested. They insisted on keeping the car all day.

I’ve replaced three PCS myself at home on the garage floor. Its not particularly difficult other than the subframe must come down on one end. Then lift the tranny to let the end cover come off. You also have to tie up the steering rack and pinion. It took me about a day to do each one. The gasket was reusable so my part cost was about $50. I have heard that the valves, there are 4, run in the aluminum valve body and wear out the passages. A local transmission rebuilder says they bore those out and press in a steel sleeve. I didn’t do that so I guess I was lucky that it always fixed my problem. Don’t wait too long to make the repair since the PCS will let the pressure go to max and I’ve heard the pump shaft can’t deal with that too long.