Installing new ipod sound player in old car

I need to upgrade my 2000 camry’s stereo system to one that has a usb input to connect an ipod. Is this easy to do–I’m sure it’s not cheap–any problem with the special code I’ve heard alot about?

My mother replaced her Subaru car stereo with an aftermarket Alpine one for $160 including installation that included an direct connection to an Ipod and controlled it.

Check out crutchfield.com , they may also offer a connector for your current factory radio for a direct connection also.

Crutchfield is very good at any additional converters etc. that might be needed, and their prices are good also.

thanks–only thing I don’t like about their setup is their ‘installer network’ where you pay for the item before you know who your installer is. on their site there were complaints that they ended up with a hum on their radio and an airbag light that wasn’t there before–had to have that fixed. ‘peripheral electronics’ seems like a better bet.

Be great to combine that with being able to simultaneously connect your cell phone to the car speakers–and have the music volume reduced when you get or make a call. great to have a large phone keyboard on the upper dashboard so you can keep your eyes on the road. I guess going the adapter route is cheaper than installing a completely new system. Of course some of these things are tailored to specific ipods or cell phones, which makes it a bit tricky. At this point CDs and cassettes seem so antiquated.

Crutchfield is very good at any additional converters etc. that might be needed, and their prices are good also.

I LOVE Crutchfield…Especially for their technical staff and documentation that comes with everything you buy. All the different connectors you can buy for ANY vehicle to connect up to any of the systems they sell…HOWEVER…I’m NOT impressed with their prices.

I’ve purchased several car stereos, including speakers, from Crutchfield and installed them myself using the supplied adapters and instructions. No problems, no warning lights, no unusual noises.