Inner tierod ends /90 Corolla

90 Corolla 1.6 …Hi guys, Do i need a special tool to remove the inner tierod ends ? It appears on the website photo that it has 2 flat sides which I could turn out the tie rod (after removing the outertierod end)…Also there are 6-8 brands ranging from $8 to $48 at Rock Auto parts…is there much difference ?Can you recommend a good site (or is that forbotten?)…Mike

Yes. You need an inner tie rod removal tool. Most of these come with proper sized adapters to remove the inner tie rod. Have you checked with the local auto parts stores to see if any of them rent this tool?

Tester

Its “verbotten”…sorry.

That’s a shame…Can we say the first 2 letters?..oh well… what about the quality / price question?.. I’m inclined to get the cheapest one. Mike

Ordinarily I would do the same, but this is a tie rod. Failure mode can be very bad.Stick with a brand name, maybe try to find one with some sort of warranty. Good luck.

No special tool needed, it’s not a tie rod end in the traditional sense. You do need something to pull the outer tie rod ends though, a small pitman arm puller from OEM, sold at most autoparts stores. works best.

No special tool needed? I wonder why they sell these http://www.amazon.com/Lisle-45750-Inner-Tie-Tool/dp/B0002SRGFW? And why I have this tool in my shop?

Tester

Thanks Tester, I called Checkers, they’ll lend one for 3 days with $60 deposit. It looks like a circlip. I noticed a circular one with the inner tierod at an online site. Do the threads need locktight ?..Mike

For these parts, I prefer to pay extra and get a recognizable brand name, with a lifetime warranty. If the parts fails for any reason while you own the car (and I keep cars for the long term), you are only out your labor. I also tend to buy local for the same reason.

Now I see how it works.I found a very clear video on You Tube; he used a 12" or so extension and a crows foot. His rack was in a vise. Does The tube like your photo slide over the tie rod and the crows foot slips over the flat part of the inner tie rod end, and is turned by the end with a 1/2 " breaker bar or ratchet. …thanks, Mike

Well, that looks like it would work, but I changed mine using two wrenches. One of them was a thin “tappet wrench”.

I would be afraid to strip the edges with a thin wrench like that. It seems that there’s room for width of the open end but the room to unscrew would be tight, since I’m not going to remove the rack (unless I have to.)…Mike

That’s exactly how it works.

You may be able to get an open end or Cresent wrench on the flats of the inner tie rod, but there’s never enough room to get a swing on the wrench to remove or install the inner tie rod.

Tester

“No special tool needed, it’s not a tie rod end in the traditional sense. You do need something to pull the outer tie rod ends though, a small pitman arm puller from OEM, sold at most autoparts stores. works best.”

My mechanic told me that i need a special just to perform the removal for this. A bit confused with this scenario.