Improve gas mileage on a 2001 ranger

Is there any way to increase mpg for a 2001 ranger? I have a 3.0 XLT auto 6 cylinder, auto. I’m getting about 15 mpg in the winter and 17 mpg in the summer. Is something wrong?? The truck is driving fine. I already install a new airfilter and cleaned the airflow sensor.

You are getting about all the fuel economy there is for that truck. Check the tire pressure.

Check with www.fueleconomy.gov. Your getting about normal for this truck. Maybe a fresh set of spark plugs is all you can do to improve things a bit more.

As was said, your gas mileage is right on target for what this vehicle is capable of.
The only things you can do in order to optimize your mileage are:

Stay on top of all maintenance, particularly the spark plugs and air filter
Inflate the tires to 3 or 4 lbs over Ford’s recommended pressures
Take any unnecessary junk out of the truck
Make believe that there is a raw egg between your foot and the gas pedal. In other words, press the gas pedal slowly and gently, so as to avoid breaking the imaginary egg.
Don’t tailgate other vehicles
Avoid very high speed driving
Avoid urban driving
Avoid drive-up lanes at banks and fast food joints
Avoid warming up the truck for more than 30 seconds or so

If you do all of these things, you may be able to get an additional 1 or 2 mpg.

Pretend that it costs you $100 dollars everytime you step on the brake. The less you use your brakes, the better your gas mileage will be.

In order to minimize the use of your brakes, you have to pay attention to whats happening way farther ahead then the bumper of the car right in front of you.

You don’t have to accelerate like a snail, you just have to avoid all acceleration that only results in you having to nail the brakes at the next red light.

Yes, and brake application is actually related to my above advice to avoid tailgating other vehicles. When you follow too closely, you will inevitably have to use the brake much more than if you follow at a sane distance. And, then the tailgating driver compensates for the braking by accelerating again.

Tailgating is a sure way to wind up braking and accelerating much more than would be necessary if you were following the vehicle ahead at a distance of at least two vehicle lengths for every 10 mph.

Thank you all for the valuable insight and suggestions. Appreciate it.