Gas efficient question

Any tips on helping my car be more gas efficient. I could save the $$.

I have a 1994 ford stx ranger, that was used. and It seemed to be doing fine when I got it, but ever since I got the repairs I needed like tail lights fixed, and front dash currently getting fixed, oil change etc. It seems like it is using gas quickly.

Any tips, I was thinking maybe upgrading to better oil? What do you think?

Drive as if your brakes don’t work. You’ll not only save gas, but brakes as well.

5 Likes

nice. will do.

First you need to measure your MPG so you have something to compare to. Just record the odometer reading each time you get gas, and fill the tank each time, recording the number of gallons. Then it’s just simple arithmetic. Subtract the odometer reading from the previous one, and divide that by the number of gallons.

Note: do not overfill. Stop when the automatic shutoff activates, do not top off.

BLE’s tip above is good. Also important is to maintain a constant speed where possible. Also, gas consumption goes up as the square of your speed. Double your speed, gas consumption goes up by a factor of 4. Increase speed by 10%, consumption goes up by 20%.

What kind of mileage are you currently getting? Depending on engine/transmission/drivetrain (2WD vs. 4WD) you could be getting anywhere from 18 MPG city 23 MPG highway For a 2.3L with the manual (2WD) to 15 MPG/ 20 MPG for the 4.0L , automatic 4WD. So in that respect some context is needed. If you were gettin 12 MPG and you had a 4 cylinder, then there might be a problem. but if you were getting 16 MPG and you had the 4.0L V6 with an automatic, that would be about what it’s supposed to be getting anyway.

Won’t make an appreciable difference.

We need to know the specifics of the truck. And we need to know the actual mileage you’re getting before any proper speculation can begin,.

2 Likes

Mechanical stuff I have tried and have worked for me personally on a full size SUV in the order of improvement.

1. Increase tire pressure. Add 5 psi to the door sticker number. If it says 30, set to 35. Do NOT go over the max sidewall numbers on the tire.
  2. Get an alignment, set the toe-in closest to zero toe-in in the manufacturer’s spec.
  3. Synthetic oil in the engine and the rear axle.

Driving tips, pretty much all the suggestions so far are effective ones. You need to look ahead and plan ahead. I’d add;

1. Be very smooth on the gas pedal. Many people pump it like they are trying to pump gas out of their tank. Don’t do that. Be super smooth.
  2. Use your cruise control on level ground, it is usually better than you are. Plan ahead so you don’t have to touch your brakes. Speed up a little to “time” your progression so you don’t have to hit the brakes or drop out of cruise.
  3. On hilly roads, do not try and maintain speed up hill, hold the gas pedal steady as you lose speed. You will gain it back downhill. Now this will tick off drivers behind you so don’t do it in traffic. My trip computers have proven this to work but it takes concentration.

Your savings depends on how good you get at this.

3 Likes

The above plus:
Make sure no brakes are dragging.
Cruise for a few miles with minimal brake use, then coast to a stop.
Check for any warm or hot wheels.
Replace the thermostat. Better to get one from Ford, not aftermarket.

1 Like

In addition to the other good suggestions, I want to add another one:

Do NOT tailgate!

Tailgaters inevitably have to use their brakes much more than those who keep a safe following distance.
Every time that you use your brakes, you lose some momentum and then you have to make up for that loss of momentum by hitting the gas again.

Ergo–tailgaters invariably use more gas than those who maintain a safe following distance.
:pensive:

4 Likes

When were the plugs last changed?

Did you replace the tires during the recent repairs? If so, they could reduce gas mileage. Let us know what tires you had and what the new ones are if you replaced them.

I have not replaced the tires currently, since I bought it less than a year ago. Currently I pay like 40 dollars for 14 gallons. Which is full, but like i said recently I think the odometer or gas gauge is off. I might try and tweak it a bit Other than that thanks for all the great advice i like mustangman’s and fodaddy i could try and get you the specs though i don’t think it matters. Any way thanks again for all the positive feedback, i’ll update on changes within the next few weeks if anything positive improves from what I’ve learned. It is a pretty old truck so I still have a lot to learn about it. Thanks again.

Again, you need an accurate measurement of your MPG status.

You can usually trust the gallon measurement from the gas pump, that is checked on a regular basis. As to the odometer, you can check that via the measured mile (or 10 mile) indicators on highways.