Important - spam attack

Have you thought of using Captcha in creating an account. Captcha is really good at eliminating bots.

Carolyn,you are worth your weight in electrons,take the spammers and make em eat treet!

The local newspaper put a forum on line linked to their site with abbreviated news stories but their effort became a big problem as they were overwhelmed with criticism for their poor performance. The paper allowed spammers to flood the forum with ads and gibberish which quickly made searching it impossible. I assumed that allowing the spam to trash the forum was quicker than dismantling it so the owners welcomed the trashing.

I get similar telephone spam. I have been on the Federal no call list for 14 years. Complaints identify the offender by telephone number. For the last few years they have been using something similar to the spambots described here. Every call has a different toll free number on the ID.

Well I am in the millions having my identity hacked for security clearance working as mission essential personnel with base housing on an afb. At least target offered 2 years security protection.

@cdaquila Well they’re at it again…

Sarge, they use that internet phone system (can’t remember what its called anymore) that allows them to plug in any number they want. I got the IRS calls and the number on my caller ID was a 202 area code from DC. But of course they were far from DC. I’m not a fan of new laws but instead of more EPA stuff, seems to me this kind of thing should be a felony-maybe it is and they’re just too slippery for the NSA and FBI. Impersonating a federal agent is a pretty serious thing though.

THERE BACK!!!

Wow. It’s all cleaned up. Great joh Carolyn. :smile:

Man, those guys never get tired of this, do they?

Carolyn, send yourself something nice for all the hard work you’ve been doing.

Yep and then they come again. It’ll take a while I’m sure so just ignore the folks and work around them. At least they are easy to identify.

Carolyn, you are doing an amazing job swatting down the efforts of the bad guys!

Thanks, guys. Off the cuff, I think the spam post volume is slowing down, but I am checking in more often to make sure. The number of spammy accounts created doesn’t seem to be slowing down, so something is working.

We thank thee for your hard work. Is there any reason to flag them at all since you are on top of them anyway?

@Bing, that’s a good and timely question, actually. Yes, it does indeed help if you flag them because when I move them myself they disappear instantly, but when 2 or 3 of you flag a thread as spam it will also be moved without my intervention. So, for you night owls – since they like to start posting after I go to bed – I may suggest if you see something, flag something. Now, if we have another terrible night where we have 33 pages of threads, that might not be feasible, but it would help me out.

Will do Carolyn. Again, thank your for your hard work.

Got your back, Carolyn. :slight_smile:

Aw, thanks. Here’s hoping we’ll have a night off from the bamwar spam war tonight!

“Man, those guys never get tired of this, do they?”

Yup!
This reminds me of that GW Bush statement about terrorists…“They never stop thinking about ways to harm our country, and neither do we”.

;-))

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/3541706.stm

Actually, if the are in Korea, they shouldn’t be tired. They are 13 hours ahead of us. 10 PM here is 11 AM there. They can get up late and spam us all day before we rise.