I'm an

I remember those days, before things like rear window defoggers and AC were standard. Times were tough, but we never missed what we never had.

I had a rental car with heated seats and heated steering wheel on a business trip recently, and the high for the day was below zero. Both were welcome additions.

The original question was about heated outside mirrors on a 2015 Kia Sportage I believe. I suspect it was deleted to avoid the general criticism offered on this forum.

Heated outside mirrors were so common during the 1990’s I thought this was nearly standard equipment today, with the exception of the least expensive subcompacts.

The Kia site indicates that heated outside mirrors are not available on the LX trim model, optional on the EX and standard on the SX.

I have been asked to create estimates for problems like this, when using factory parts it can be between $1,000 and $3,000. This may require two new mirrors and door wiring harnesses and possibly a control module and body wiring harness. These additions are never practical.

Heated outside mirrors as standard equipment are only common among the expensive cars.

Heated outside mirrors as standard equipment are only common among the expensive cars.

Like my 2010 Insight EX…

I can imagine how profitable it would be for dealerships to keep a Dreamsickle orange basic model on their lot to show bargain hunters. Of course removing the wheel covers from the black steel wheels would add to the prospect of an upsell. We deserve all the luxury and performance we can squeeze into the 84 month easy terms financing.

However I might find that defrosters on the rear glass and mirrors were necessities if I lived north of 40*.

But the EX is two steps above the standard model. It has an options package.

Power heated mirrors are standard on the next model up, the Sorento at $25,100. Also standard on the Dodge Journey at $21,000.

But the EX is two steps above the standard model.

There was LX, EX (mine), and EX with navigation system.

There’s also a base model. I looked it up.
The point is that heated mirrors are part of an options package on most regular cars, only standard equipment on more expensive cars.

Are you sure the base model in 2010 wasn’t the LX?

Hey, I like my heated seats! The only downside is that my SO’s car does not have heated seats and so we have to take mine whenever we go anywhere in the winter, which racks up miles faster. :wink:

I skipped the heated steering wheel because I’d have had to have bought an RL instead of a TL, and I just liked the TL a lot more. There are some days where it would be nice, but it would never be a dealbreaker on a car.

I tend to spend a lot of time outside in the winter, and so when I get in my car at the end of the day I am cold. Heated seats are wonderful for those days.

BTW in my experience, heated seats/mirrors/steering wheel tend to be standard on the “entry-level” luxury cars like Acura. BMW, for instance, you’re paying extra for all of that.

I’m sure that the EX wasn’t the base model.
No matter how they were designated, your EX isn’t the base model and has an options package.
I stand by my point. :smile:

Pull-quote from KBB,com:

The new-for-2011 base model is (obviously) more spartan than LX or EX...

So, now you know…

A lot of cars are now coming equipped with heated mirrors as standard. Heated mirrors come standard on ALL Highlanders. But the Highlander is NOT a cheap vehicle. The Rav4 Heated Mirrors is NOT standard on the LE model…but is standard on the XLE and Limited.

It’s back to the bottom line; it’s standard on the more expensive vehicles, whether that’s via the base model’s more expensive price or an options package on an upscaled model.

the same mountainbike: Obviously you didn’t get a gasoline powered heater for your bug and die from carbon monoxide poisoning!

insightful: The trim levels are confusing. Your 2010 Insight EX would intuitively lead anyone to think E= Economy. Of course the true base model is the LX which should logically be L=Luxury. I’m enjoying feeling rich and important now driving my $17,000 2010 Kia Forte SX with standard heated mirrors.

Obviously. :smile:
But I remember them.

With the old air-cooled VWs you did not need a gasoline heater to die from CO poisoning. Aged and leaky junction boxes on the engine exhaust have the same effect…