Hyundai Veloster single knock when accelerating or taking foot off gas?!

You might consider checking the ball joints. That is one thing that can be lethal if one of them happens to break.

2 Likes

Let’s face it. If this was a cheap and simple fix, then don’t you think the dealer would have already done the cheap, simple fix, or would at least agree to do the cheap, simple fix in order to sell the car for top dollar? It’s just like when I see cars for sale on Craigslist, not running or won’t pass emissions, but it just needs some cheap and simple fix. Does anyone actually fall for that BS?

1 Like

A wholesaler is not going to fix the squeaks and rattles, for that price you need to correct these issues yourself.

If you don’t understand how an engine mount can make a noise when torque is applied you shouldn’t buy a wholesale car.

2 Likes

I almost always buy used cars, I have stated my one rule that has not changed.
Any red flag would make me walk.
At times I have bought project cars, but even then there are rules.
We are looking for a car for my wife. We find a decent candidate (Honda HRV), but after we test drove it, the carfax report had this Battery being checked, replaced, charging system being checked repeated every 3K miles or so. I decided it might be a headache I don’t want to deal with.

1 Like

If you have a friend to help, apply the parking brake or better and safer still press the front and/or rear bumper against a stout wall, put it in gear and play out the clutch. If it’s a mount it should become apparent or just see what shakes out. Motor mounts, different make, type, engine and which one is broken, different noise. Another question, if it’s the mount, why is it broken, abusive owner?
Other things to look at are loose radiator, sub-frame, coolant bottle, windshield washer bottle, broken alternator, a/c, power steering pump, etc bracket.
Without hearing the actual noise we’re all shooting into a dark room.
In NJ we have, what can be, at times, onerous motor vehicle inspections. I had an '87 Golf, I bought used, that had a rattle only at idle, otherwise not a peep. However, I knew that once the MV inspectors heard the rattle they would stop at nothing to find it and a good chance I would be forced to find some sort of fix. The rattle was due to an aluminum heat shield over the exhaust pipe under the length of the passenger cabin. It was there to keep the rugs from catching fire and even though the tabs holding it up off of the pipe had long since broken off it was still doing it’s intended job. The inspectors(they must have emptied out their office) raised up the front end and dragged mirrors under the car like they were looking for contraband, they had at least a half dozen people on hands and knees while continuously revving the engine. I was standing in the waiting area watching this show, hoping against hope, knowing that if they don’t find it they can’t make me fix it. Short story long, it passed but NJ DMV is still leading the series.

Bumper ? The bumper is covered by a plastic sheild and this is a used car being considered for purchase . Just what this person needs is being charges for damage to the vehicle.

2 Likes

You’re right. I failed to consider that, my bad.